Social Security Scam.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
As a geezer and recipient of Social Security benefits, one of the things that adds extra joy to my life is the plethora of scam robo-calls I receive. Recently, a new variant added zest. Calling on my mobil, a robo-voice informed me that there had been "suspicious activity" on my SSA number and my "account was being suspended." It further instructed me to press a number to be connected to someone to learn what's going on.

Whether these nice folks are cousins, brothers or in-laws of the other nice folks who informed me via robo-call that my PC's Windows op. sys. was expiring and that my PC would stop working, or some different nice folks who call frequently, I can not say. But what happens is simple: poor geezer presses instructed number where, of course, you are first asked your Soc. Sec. number, and then provide other personal information, upon which you are informed that everything is now fine. And it is! For them.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Flanderian:

And the phone call probably costs too!

I've put the phone on answer and never answer them, just review the messages and most of the scammers don't leave messages.

BTW what is your SS number? :pirate:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
On both our landline house phone and our iphones, incoming robo/scam calls out number our legitimate calls at about 9:1. As Andy indicated we don't answer the phone anymore, but rather respond to messages left for us.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
My parents regularly receive calls from young men, using my son's name, and pretending to be my son in distress, asking for $ to get out of jail. The last one said he was in jail in Florida for a DUI and needed bail.

Funny, my son doesn't know how to drive, has never driven, has no drivers license, and lives in DC.

Cheers,

BSR

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Laugh now, but when that London based attorney shares 50% of the 18,000,000 of his Nigerian client’s money with me, you’ll see who’s sorry!

Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
As a geezer and recipient of Social Security benefits, one of the things that adds extra joy to my life is the plethora of scam robo-calls I receive. Recently, a new variant added zest. Calling on my mobil, a robo-voice informed me that there had been "suspicious activity" on my SSA number and my "account was being suspended." It further instructed me to press a number to be connected to someone to learn what's going on.

Whether these nice folks are cousins, brothers or in-laws of the other nice folks who informed me via robo-call that my PC's Windows op. sys. was expiring and that my PC would stop working, or some different nice folks who call frequently, I can not say. But what happens is simple: poor geezer presses instructed number where, of course, you are first asked your Soc. Sec. number, and then provide other personal information, upon which you are informed that everything is now fine. And it is! For them.
I received the identical call about 4 hours ago! I hung up and blocked the number (I receive benefits, but still work).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
LOL. Years ago I found myself victimized by perhaps the worst SSA scam of all. After serving something in the neighborhood of 42 years of combined military and Federal civil service, I was informed, by mail not the phone, that more than 90% of any SSA benefit I might have earned through my working years would be "set-aside/zeroed out" because I was already receiving my civil service pension. By the time those bureaucratic as*holes got done with my SSA computations, I had just about enough left in my SSA benefits to pay my monthly Medicare premiums. Seems to me that not every scam artist can claim Nigeria as their home of record! :icon_scratch: :angry:

Troones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
There's a pretty brilliant fellow who posts on youtube. He collects the incoming numbers to the scam call centers and uses an auto-dialler to jam their lines. It has his own robo-voice with a message that says "hello... you have been identified as a scammer.."

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I worry quite a bit about my father (80) being scammed; they certainly have his number!

I "manage" his computing, and have everything ratcheted up as high as it can go security-wise (I bought him a MacBook Pro, and set it up per NSA security protocols, as I do my own), but I can only do so much with his phone life.

Fortunately he is a very ornery and difficult old man, perhaps his best line of defense against scammers :p

DH