Zinc2005

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Ann Arbor
OK, So I understand that this is a stretch (Pun intended). I acquired a pair of pristine McClains in a 9D for a really great price. I have been told I wear an 8.5 E in Park Aves. I want to try and stretch these McClains to ~ E width. The shoe fits me... but is noticeably tight. Do you think this is an attainable result or am I wasting my time entirely? Anyone have any special tips?... I know the basics of stretching a shoe but have never tried to do such a large adjustment.

cdavant

Advanced Member
United States
NC
Blowing Rock
D to E should be easy. Any cobbler can do it. You can do it yourself if you invest in a good quality shoe stretcher--not the cheap ones you see sold in pairs in the Sunday paper ads. Google "shoe stretcher" and you'll find what you need. And if you do it yourself, you can do it in stages so you don't wind up too wide.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
I am like Goldilock in the 5 last. 9.5W and 10Wtoo loose, 10D, 10.5D too tight. My solution is the 10D which is my usual size. They are a bit tight and get uncomfortable in a couple of hours in the toebox width. One pair eventually has broken in. The others have been fixed with the use of the following products:

http://www.footfitter.com/p/105-001/footfitter-shoe-stretch-spray.html shoe stretch spray
http://www.footfitter.com/p/101-008/footfitter-professional-two-way-shoe-stretcher.html Shoe stretcher

Place in shoe, spray on as instructed, crank open per instructions, and let sit overnight. The next day you will have gained a half width increase in size, adjusted in spots for your needs. Repeat again the next day if needed. You should have no problem going from a D to a W. I am in between so only one use got me where I neeeded. My shoes are now as comfortable as slipppers all day long. I have since used this method on 10 pairs of shoes succesfully by various manufacturers. The spray causes no change to the tone, texture, or finish of the shoe.

Checkerboard 13

Senior Member<br>Moderator
United States
CA
HP
One thing to consider beyond whether the shoes can be stretched enough so as to no longer be tight on your feet, is whether or not they will retain their form after doing so.
Stretching will alter the shape of the shoes, that was imparted by the last, and excessive stretching can ruin their proportions and look.

It's always best, of course, to buy shoes that fit well in the first place.

mhj

United States
OH
Cleveland
+1 I've had success with the same equipment and technique as momsdoc.

I am like Goldilock in the 5 last. 9.5W and 10Wtoo loose, 10D, 10.5D too tight. My solution is the 10D which is my usual size. They are a bit tight and get uncomfortable in a couple of hours in the toebox width. One pair eventually has broken in. The others have been fixed with the use of the following products:

http://www.footfitter.com/p/105-001/footfitter-shoe-stretch-spray.html shoe stretch spray
http://www.footfitter.com/p/101-008/footfitter-professional-two-way-shoe-stretcher.html Shoe stretcher

Place in shoe, spray on as instructed, crank open per instructions, and let sit overnight. The next day you will have gained a half width increase in size, adjusted in spots for your needs. Repeat again the next day if needed. You should have no problem going from a D to a W. I am in between so only one use got me where I neeeded. My shoes are now as comfortable as slipppers all day long. I have since used this method on 10 pairs of shoes succesfully by various manufacturers. The spray causes no change to the tone, texture, or finish of the shoe.

Investment Grade

United States
PA
Philadelphia
Similar question about a pair of strands I just acquired. The shoes fit great in the to box, but its really painful to tighten the laces to the point that the eyelets are really closed and touching, which is the general point of bal's. Would it be possible to stretch only this area, so that I can fully close the laces, or should I just dump the shoes?

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
Just wear them, the natural stretching with use will bring them closer. If they were touching when new they would stretch out and be too big to wear.

Stubbly

United States
East of Eden
Lakeview
Even though I've only done stretching in spots to alleviate calluses, your idea sounds reasonable. I would give it a try.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
My right foot measures a 10EE and the left a 10E. Last year I bought a pair of AE shoes that were a 10D and thought that I could stretch them....bad thought....I was literally walking around in agony. Nevertheless, the fine folks at AE took back the shoes even though they had been worn. I will not make that mistake again. Recently, I had a similar experience with a pair of Alden shoes. I sent them back before wearing them outside.

I have come to find that a better option (for me at least) is to buy the shoes a little bigger and have an insole installed, thus making the shoes more comfortable and better fitting. :)

mrkleen

Boston
United States
MA
Boston
My right foot measures a 10EE and the left a 10E. Last year I bought a pair of AE shoes that were a 10D and thought that I could stretch them....bad thought....I was literally walking around in agony. Nevertheless, the fine folks at AE took back the shoes even though they had been worn. I will not make that mistake again. Recently, I had a similar experience with a pair of Alden shoes. I sent them back before wearing them outside.

I have come to find that a better option (for me at least) is to buy the shoes a little bigger and have an insole installed, thus making the shoes more comfortable and better fitting. :)
Or you could use the AE custom program and order two different sizes as needed.