Mr. Radio

Starting Member
United States
ND
Jamestown
Hello all. I've been working for some time on finding a proper fit in AE's. Hindered by living 320 miles from the nearest Nordstrom/AE retail store.

Had an opportunity to try some 65 last shoes on a trip to MNPLS last year and they were way too tight. I normally wear an 11.5D. Tried an 11E per the store person and it just wasn't a good fit.

Did just try a 511 last shoe via mail. Given I'm an older, large individual I thought I should just go right to the widest last with the most toe box room.

The shoe was nearly a good fit, but still had more constriction in the ball of the foot and toe box than I am comfortable with. The side of my foot visibly bulged out the side of the shoe, and the toes had no room.

But it was close to a fit. SO-finally getting around to my question, would the next step be say a 12D or 11.5E in the 511 or 511G? Thank you

Mr. Radio

Starting Member
United States
ND
Jamestown
Largely time constraints. But also and this will sound silly I"m sure but after 50 years it was my first trip to a quality dedicated shoe store and after 30 minutes or so I became uncomfortable asking the young man for more of his time. Was kind of overwhelmed.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
Don't confuse length and width. Going longer will not make the shoe wider, just change where on your foot the narrowest area is. Get the width you need in the length you need and don't worry about what number or letter it ends up being. From what you've described you should probably be looking at EE in the 5 last in the 11 or 11.5. Take advantage of the free returns and try a few wider sizes in 11 and 11.5 in a couple of lasts and see what works or doesn't. All lasts
Are not for everyone, and almany wear different sizes in different lasts. With ASs range of lasts and widths, there are plenty of shoes for you

howemi01

United States
Pennsylvania
Mechanicsburg
For what it's worth I always considered myself a 9D, wear an 8E on the 5 last, and an 8.5D on the 511 last. So down a full size and out a width on the 5, and down just a half size on the 1.

It sounds like going another half size up would likely get you closer.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
Don't confuse length and width. Going longer will not make the shoe wider, just change where on your foot the narrowest area is. Get the width you need in the length you need and don't worry about what number or letter it ends up being. From what you've described you should probably be looking at EE in the 5 last in the 11 or 11.5. Take advantage of the free returns and try a few wider sizes in 11 and 11.5 in a couple of lasts and see what works or doesn't. All lasts
Are not for everyone, and almany wear different sizes in different lasts. With ASs range of lasts and widths, there are plenty of shoes for you
Doc, long time no read.

I am commenting here because as a long time wide footed fellow, (And seemingly wider as time goes on) I can attest that going up in length will most certainly change the width.

Here is just one example:

I know this because I have had to learn to make adjustments in width and length.

From ball to heel I am an 11. But, from heel to tip I am a 10. I measure an EE width.

So, I find my best fit from 10EE to 10.5E last dependent.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
Doc, long time no read.

I am commenting here because as a long time wide footed fellow, (And seemingly wider as time goes on) I can attest that going up in length will most certainly change the width.

Here is just one example:

I know this because I have had to learn to make adjustments in width and length.

From ball to heel I am an 11. But, from heel to tip I am a 10. I measure an EE width.

So, I find my best fit from 10EE to 10.5E last dependent.

I guess I had gotten too busy with other things to keep up here.

yes, as your chart shows width does go up with length to keep shoes proportional. But this is minor compared to actually changing widths. In your example someone wearing a 9E would have to go all the way up to a 10.5D for the same width. A size and a halfh increase in length to compensate for the width just won't work. Changing the width while maintaining the proper length is more optimal. This is available with AE as opposed to other brands, where you have to make a half size compromise and make choices to avoid some lasts because of fit issues. AE has such a variety of combinations, that barring heel and arch issues, everyone can be happy. Those with heel issues can be thankful that Alden addresses that with their various heel/forefoot width combos.

You our have the good fortune to fit well in EG despite you wide handicap. An expensive conundrum that you have happily accommodated, giving us all Gallway envy:biggrin:

DG123

United States
California
San Francisco
Hello all. I've been working for some time on finding a proper fit in AE's. Hindered by living 320 miles from the nearest Nordstrom/AE retail store.

Had an opportunity to try some 65 last shoes on a trip to MNPLS last year and they were way too tight. I normally wear an 11.5D. Tried an 11E per the store person and it just wasn't a good fit.

Did just try a 511 last shoe via mail. Given I'm an older, large individual I thought I should just go right to the widest last with the most toe box room.

The shoe was nearly a good fit, but still had more constriction in the ball of the foot and toe box than I am comfortable with. The side of my foot visibly bulged out the side of the shoe, and the toes had no room.

But it was close to a fit. SO-finally getting around to my question, would the next step be say a 12D or 11.5E in the 511 or 511G? Thank you
Contrary to popular opinion (here at this forum), shoe lasts are designed to promote a variety of shoe model shapes, not fit.
Fit is about shoe size, that is, the length and width.Based on your post, I suggest you try an AE shoe which is half a size longer, and at least one width wider, perhaps two widths wider, than the the shoe you previously tried.

Last edited:
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts

Deals/Steals