Suit Puckering Question

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Bronchialcircle, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bronchialcircle

Bronchialcircle Starting Member

United States
    Texas
    lubbock
    Hi Everybody,

I'm looking to buy a suit off of Ebay and measured a jacket that fits me well for sizing comparisons. I found a Brooks Brothers suit that I like, however the Ebay listing says there are some very fine puckers on the front of the jacket. The jacket is NWT though which is strange. I believe this suit line is only half canvassed, so I was worried that there might be delamination occurring and that it might be red flags of larger issues. I posted the link below, if anyone could give me some advice as to whether this is an issue or not it would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Brooks...0L-Retail-1298-/322933419225?oid=222349504123

2. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    If you're referring to the line pointed to by the positioned marker, that actually looks like a line of errant stitching more than delamination. But on that same photo, it doesn't look to me as if the top of the breast pocket is straight, and the suit in general looks as if it was indifferently put together. I'd pass. These few observable issues could become greater when the suit isn't pressed and on a form. Though in fairness, they could also become unnoticeable. But I wouldn't want to have to purchase it to find out.

3. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    I agree with Flanderian that the error pointed to by the marker is not puckering but either a "pull" in the material or, as he notes, errant stitching. It is something one would never accept in a full-price new suit.

That said, at that price, you could take a chance that the flaw is modest (as could be the other ones Flanderian points out) and that you enjoy the suit. I'm on the fence as I've bought new suits - equivalent in quality to the BB suit you're looking at - that have quickly developed minor flaws like puckering or a small pull and have still enjoyed many years of good wear. Hopefully, a tailor could fix or improve the breast pocket issue.

Obviously, a big flaw (which none of these appear to be) are unacceptable at any price, but at that price, if there are no other surprises and you get it well tailored, my guess is you'll be happy with it. Are you familiar with that model of BB suit - if so, and you like it, then that says a lot.

N.B., I'm a 40L. But no fear - I would never jump in front of you (and I am not in the market for a suit anyway).

4. Bronchialcircle

Bronchialcircle Starting Member

United States
    Texas
    lubbock
    Thanks for the reply. I think that I will take the same question to my tailor and ask their opinion too. Likely though I will pass and try to find another suit per your recommendation. It's a shame, I really like the pattern and style!

5. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Good luck! I would expect your tailor can give you a better informed opinion than me. As Fading Fast stated, it's entirely possible that the suit at issue might be a good value, with only minor and correctable issues. It's very much a personal choice.

6. Charles Dana

Charles Dana Advanced Member

United States
    California
    San Francisco
    I'd pass. If a suit jacket is going to have a defect, the chest is the worst place for it. Be patient. For nearly $300.00, you can eventually find a defect-free suit that will make you think, "I am thrilled that I own this!" instead of "Eh, I settled."

However, if your tailor is sure--really sure--that the problem can be fixed, that's great.

Then ask him how much the repair will cost....

7. TerryM

TerryM New Member

United States
    Colorado
    Durango
    Does it look to anyone else that someone tried to iron it or over steam it? The fabric looks damaged to me.

8. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Notice the black marker line through the inside label. This item was not sold at a retail shop and is second quality.

Make what you want of the puckering. On my phone, I can’t tell clearly what it is. It seems like the sale is ended so the point is moot. Someone else will have to figure it out.

9. winghus

winghus Senior Member

United States
    North Carolina
    Greensboro
    Considering that it's Steve Smith selling, yes it's from the now closed factory store in Garland, NC. Not everything there was seconds, some was closeout items but I would safely guess it's a returned item with that defect.

10. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    Not familiar with that individual. Does he sell a lot of BB merchandise?