Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
While this trad is not a slave to conventions, I tend to put away white shoes after Labor Day -- I just don't see seersucker as white. Also not a fan of white bucks with dark trousers -- just too flashy even for this seersucker lover. That said, I certainly would not take issue with others wearing what you suggest.

WatchmanJimG

United States
FL
Orlando
Or you could do this and keep the white bucks in service year round:
View attachment 34690

Editor's note to Fading Fast: This is our last warning. Our records show that you have posted that picture over 500 times to AAAC. Your overall contribution to the site is minimal at best, it would not take much more encouragement to have us revoke your membership. And for God's sake, just go buy all the items in the picture and be done with it.
Being a relative newcomer I have to ask--is the fire-and-brimstone admonition from the editor legitimate or some kind of inside joke?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Being a relative newcomer I have to ask--is the fire-and-brimstone admonition from the editor legitimate or some kind of inside joke?
It's just my not-great attempt at a joke. The place and editors are really very nice.

I was just mocking the fact that I've used that pic A LOT here at AAAC to demonstrate this, that or the other sartorial thing.

And welcome - glad that you've joined us.

WatchmanJimG

United States
FL
Orlando
It's just my not-great attempt at a joke. The place and editors are really very nice.

I was just mocking the fact that I've used that pic A LOT here at AAAC to demonstrate this, that or the other sartorial thing.

Thanks for the welcome and clarification, as well as your positive feedback to my posts thus far. I would have been very surprised if anyone here found fault with your contributions.

poppies

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
California
Los Angeles

That photo is well worth a repeat. Every item is delightful.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
That photo is well worth a repeat. Every item is delightful.
Agreed. There was a time and place - Northeast '50s - where men of that set were wearing white bucks with all sorts of pants at all times of year. Also, you'll see some of that going on in the very sartorially adventurous '30s (at least amongst the few who had money to buy fancy clothes in the Depression).

As a trad dresser, you have to "pick your spots" and select your attire thoughtfully so that you look classic and not costume.

I'll wear white bucks with a seersucker or other summer suit for a dressy summer event, but that's about it. For me, if I wore them in my daily life or in the winter with grey trousers, I'd be pushing it too far.

Other than the belt, I pretty much have all those items in the pic, but as noted, haven't worn the white bucks with the rest - usually just go with cordovan loafers.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Agreed. There was a time and place - Northeast '50s - where men of that set were wearing white bucks with all sorts of pants at all times of year. Also, you'll see some of that going on in the very sartorially adventurous '30s (at least amongst the few who had money to buy fancy clothes in the Depression).

As a trad dresser, you have to "pick your spots" and select your attire thoughtfully so that you look classic and not costume.

I'll wear white bucks with a seersucker or other summer suit for a dressy summer event, but that's about it. For me, if I wore them in my daily life or in the winter with grey trousers, I'd be pushing it too far.

Other than the belt, I pretty much have all those items in the pic, but as noted, haven't worn the white bucks with the rest - usually just go with cordovan loafers.
I recall white bucks being worn all the time in the mid 1950s but not after that. Of course they were allowed to get down right shabby, not kept pristine and white.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I recall white bucks being worn all the time in the mid 1950s but not after that. Of course they were allowed to get down right shabby, not kept pristine and white.
They only look really good when they're scuffed up.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts