thegovteach

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Texas
Orange
I am looking at wearing a tattersall shirt with a tartan tie for Christmas service. This along with my tweed jacket. Too busy? Or should I stick with the solid tie with the tattersall, solid shirt with tartan? ( Yes it is one of my tartans associated with my family, and it looks very Christmassy.)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Without pics to judge, it sounds too busy. Also, does the tweed sport coat have a pattern?

With skill and the fates aligned, several patterns, even of the same scale, while rare, can surprisingly work in one outfit. But as the saying goes, that's for professionals and you should not try that at home unless you have professional skills.

Again, need pics to say more.

David J. Cooper

Canada
BC
Vancouver
I think mixing patterns can work put perhaps not two that are so geometric. Paisley and tattersall, yes the shapes are so different . The two you mention are both so square.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
A tartan is a plaid. Pairing plaids and checks can be beautiful and scintillating, or hideous and cacophonous. It requires a sure eye and careful attention to both color and scale to achieve the required harmony.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
When I was young “tattersall” meant a white button down shirt with a rather small blue and red check, worn to the office as a sort of alternate white shirt, with almost any sort of tie.

Tattersall, tweed, and tartan are such broad terms that your best bet is to put them all on and look in the mirror as opposed to relying on opinions from folks who have at most a limited theoretical knowledge and at worst a penchant for opining in the dark.