• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
We just published our Guide to Winter Coats for Men article.

It covers 11 different types of winter coats, plus fit, length etc.

If you have an additional advice regarding winter coat selection, how they should fit, or any other best practices you've learned over the years, would really appreciate you sharing your thoughts here!

1575823533961.png

1575823547824.png

1575823560229.png

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
The nice thing about raglan sleeves is they don't have to fit as precise as set-in sleeves, this picture being great proof of that.

1575826315057.png

The balmacaan is another winter coat, raglan sleeves, and with/without a belt. It's not formal, but it is a winter coat! Arguably one of the most versatile in today's casual era.

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
Good overview. Nice to see two traditional faves of mine covered: the trench coat and the waxed cotton field coat. If puffer coats were to disappear from the sartorial landscape, however, I'd not shed a tear.

My contribution on 'how to wear' the wax cotton coat:

1) Understand that it is a purely casual garment, deriving from sporting and field applications of yesteryear. Do not pair this coat with a suit. Ever.

2) Understand that your coat is impregnated with wax. Heat melts wax. Don't ever hang your coat to dry near a heat source. And keep the seat heaters off in your car if you're not looking to add a shiny coat of wax.

3) Layering looks best and can - surprisingly - extend the functional use of the coat through three seasons. In addition to shedding rain with ease, these coats are exceptionally good at keeping a biting wind at bay. Layering with wool and cashmere can result in a very comfy cold-weather ensemble.

Last edited:

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
We just published our Guide to Winter Coats for Men article.

It covers 11 different types of winter coats, plus fit, length etc.

If you have an additional advice regarding winter coat selection, how they should fit, or any other best practices you've learned over the years, would really appreciate you sharing your thoughts here!

View attachment 37780

View attachment 37781

View attachment 37782
3 quick suggestions.
1. WITH A BULLET. Where is the Peacoat?
2. Bomber jacket
3. Shearling coats

I can go on and add Great Coats, British Warm, parkas, etc. But especially for this forum PEACOAT!!!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
There's cold and then there's COLD! When the thermometer bottoms out you are are going to need protection well beyond what is discussed here. Despite the lack of style, as intimated above, a puffy augmented with hood and (possibly) fur ruff is called for. Personally, I'd just call in sick or something but there are those who must venture out in the bitter and windchill. For those I would suggest something along the lines of Jack Wolfskin.

jack-wolfskin-w-temple-hill-jacket-18a-jaw-1204121-black-1.jpg

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
^^^ The problem for me with those portable igloos is that they are too warm. Once I step from the frigid platform at the train station and into the heated cabin, they become an unwelcome portable sauna. And their voluminous bulk makes the confined seating space even more so. Such are the considerations of those who commute to work, rather than hike.

Now, if I had repeated need to be outdoors for extended periods of time in the most bitter cold and biting wind, then an enormous puffy parka would be most welcome.

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
There's cold and then there's COLD! When the thermometer bottoms out you are are going to need protection well beyond what is discussed here. Despite the lack of style, as intimated above, a puffy augmented with hood and (possibly) fur ruff is called for. Personally, I'd just call in sick or something but there are those who must venture out in the bitter and windchill. For those I would suggest something along the lines of Jack Wolfskin.

View attachment 38126

And I'm the ones that will venture out in the cold, being a cart attendant I must keep myself from getting frostbite so I should wear the warmest coat and just keep coming in and out so I don't stay out there much too long.