Donegal tweed fishin' hat
Dawg or Daahg

look at the Suthick ad. guy on tintin's blog > www.thetrad.com

Taken Aback

Advanced Member
United States
New York
New York
I thought I would resurrect this one to get more input on what works best with BW. I assume what works with a jacket (color of shirt or pants), pants (I've seen blue blazer oft mentioned), or a vest/waistcoat will all be different, and perhaps not agreed upon.

Perhaps some can share some more pictures of what they feel are good pairings? (Especially with jackets)

arkirshner

Honors Member
United States
OH
Toledo
It’s more of a question of what can’t you wear with it? Solid white, blue, pink, yellow or ecru shirts. Any combination of those colors in a candy stripe as long as the plaid is muted and you get the scale right. Tan, navy, or mid-gray trousers. Either flannel of gabardine. Just about any shade of brown or tan footwear, as well as black or burgundy. I think someone mentioned rust corduroy trousers, and they’re nice as well. Ties can be solid, or any pattern or stripe in a complimentary scale and pattern intensity with complimentary colors. Look at a color wheel, and see what goes with navy and dark green, just about everything. Easily the most versatile of plaids, particularly if it’s muted.

Flanderian,

I must confess that choosing things to wear with my blackwatch jackets, one cotton, one wool,have always given me trouble. Now that this 3 year old thread has been resurrected, as I respect your opinion, I wonder if during the past 3 years you have given any further thought to the question. Perhaps your current top three BW jacket combinations, por favor.

Regards,

Alan

Trip English

Honors Member
United States
Massachusetts
Natick
I recently let my black watch blazer go after shedding some weight, but I wore it almost interchangeably with a navy blazer. At ten paces it has the same general coloring. I'll be looking to replace it at some point as it was one of the more versatile jackets I had.

I particularly likes pairing it with a pink OCBD and khakis.

Nathan Detroit

I never wear Black Watch, it's handsome but I dislike its historical associations. The Black Watch was formed to "watch" the highlands as part of the British pacification and subjugation of Scotland following the disinheriting of the legitimate Stuart line, and has more than a few shameful chapters in its history, including its participation in Operation Banner, disgraced by the British security services' collusion with loyalist paramilitaries.

Nathan Detroit

Yeah, but it goes so well with pink.
True enough, and generally the decisive point.

I'm not urging anyone who doesn't share my strong feelings on those points (subjugation of Scotland, British record in Ireland) should eschew Black Watch, just that anyone who already does so might want to know how Black Watch connects to them...

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Your historical affiliation may well be worthy of concern but given the esteem the BW is held at in present day Scotland, I fear you may be suffering from acute anachronism. I have been wrong before, though.

Epaminondas

I never wear Black Watch, it's handsome but I dislike its historical associations. The Black Watch was formed to "watch" the highlands as part of the British pacification and subjugation of Scotland following the disinheriting of the legitimate Stuart line, and has more than a few shameful chapters in its history, including its participation in Operation Banner, disgraced by the British security services' collusion with loyalist paramilitaries.
Yawn.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I recently let my black watch blazer go after shedding some weight, but I wore it almost interchangeably with a navy blazer. At ten paces it has the same general coloring. I'll be looking to replace it at some point as it was one of the more versatile jackets I had.

I particularly likes pairing it with a pink OCBD and khakis.
LOL. Indeed, my (as I recall) $39, clearanced, Jos A Bank Blackwatch Dinner Jacket took the "walk of shame" to the Goodwill Store last winter, after I was told once again, " nice jacket, but haven't we seen you wearing that one more than a few times before?" ;) Looking back, I wish the jacket had been a sport coat, rather than a dinner jacket design. :(