Tom3

United States
North Carolina
Asheville
I love ties, particularly madder dyed silk paisley prints, but when I retired twelve years ago I decided I would wear only bow ties. Since then I have had about two dozen long ties converted to bow ties, most of them smaller, tighter paisleys that don't get lost on the smaller space of the bowtie.

I attend a lot of fund-raisers these days where fewer than a quarter of the men wear ties.

Tom

jc1305us

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NJ
Basking Ridge
The downfall of western civilization can be traced to the day when people thought it was a good idea to leave their house wearing sweatpants. The dearth of tie wearers is just another nail in the coffin. (And I don't wear a tie everyday, but I feel that they should be worn more often!)

paul winston

Advertiser
United States
new york
new york
I attribute the internet to being the largest contributor to "casual dress". Much of the business that was formerly conducted face to face is now done with out actually seeing the individual with whom you are dealing. You do not know what I am wearing now! I have attorney customers who come in wearing chino trousers and a knit shirt. They wear a suit when meeting with a client and keep a suit, shirt and tie in the office for unexpected meetings. They no longer need 5/6 suits and the suits they have last a long time because of infrequent wear. Many less suits, shirts and ties are sold.
I always felt that a significant number of the ties we sold were never worn. For many years Chipp Neckwear had a booth at the Westminster Kennel Club show in NYC. In 2 days we would sell 300/400 dog breed ties. Most of those ties were purchased as gifts and were probably never worn.
I have attached an image of "The Ambulance Chaser" tie. Through the years we sold 100s of these ties which were given as gifts to attorneys by their friends, relatives and business partners. How many attorneys were secure enough to wear the tie? ( I don't know if an attorney ever bought one for himself.)

Attachments

jc1305us

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NJ
Basking Ridge
Anyone ever see the "F*#^ You" Tie that J Press had some years ago? Waiting like hell for those to come back!

paul winston

Advertiser
United States
new york
new york
Both colors are in stock. I correct the inventory manually. They will now both show "in stock". With 80 in the rear view mirror, I don't do it as well as I formerly did.
Paul Winston
www.chippneckwear.com