JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
What Paul didn't note is that his walk takes him through one of Manhattan's major business district. I usually note about 10% tie-wearers in that area - so not far off from Paul's estimate. Come up to my neighborhood - the Upper East Side - and the number drops to 5% during the week and 1% on weekends (and that's only 'cause I live near a large teaching hospital which seems to have a few older employees who still dress in suits or sport coats and ties).
I bet some of the old MDs at New York Hospital still wear some ties. It was de rigueur 30 years ago but so many have stopped - among other things they are fomites since they can drag infection from one patient to another.

, as it's all just what I see on the street, the move away from suits and ties has accelerated in the last few years. As noted, you'll still see them in the biz districts - but they no longer dominate even there - and away from those areas, you only see a single percentage of men in them.
It has been a couple of years since I have been in midtown and probably 5 years since I have been in the business district in London. Ties and suits were still pretty popular but hardly ubiquitous. As I have noted in other posts - the bankers and accountants have mostly stopped wearing them and now the lawyers and doctors too. Just leaves preachers and judges.

I've also noted a rapid decline is in non-business situations. Other than weddings and funerals (and it's no longer a given that everyone will wear one at a wedding and the last few funerals I went to were well less than 50% suit and ties), I never see suits or ties and only a few men (like me) who still wear sport coats.
Weddings only if you are in it. And funerals just the staff and the preacher.

My standard not-summer - not work - outfit is chinos (occasionally jeans). buck or desert boots, OCBD, sweater and sport coat (not tie) and I hear - more and more each year - "why are you so dressed up?" I can't imagine the reaction I'd get if I added a tie or wore a suit.
I always dress up at work so they don't ask me. I still wear a tie with suits but more often I find myself tieless with a sports jacket. I wear pocket squares usually with a bit of color in them in lieu of the tie. At least it gives some color.
[/QUOTE]

EponymousFunk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
At State Department, ties are still the mode since it is expected for overseas meetings.

Cheers,

BSR
This is predominantly true in the Pentagon as well, for those working directly with the multiple levels of senior leaders and especially with the interagency and international engagements. I wear a suit and tie Monday to Thursday and have a blazer and several ties in the office to dress up the odd trousers and button down worn on Fridays. These dog days of summer often see me commute open-collar and carrying my suit coat, however.

The very young, the very old, and the back-office experts/technicians seem most unwilling to hew to a more formal dress code.

Regards,

FiscalDean

United States
WI
Elcho
It has been a couple of years since I have been in midtown and probably 5 years since I have been in the business district in London. Ties and suits were still pretty popular but hardly ubiquitous. As I have noted in other posts - the bankers and accountants have mostly stopped wearing them and now the lawyers and doctors too.

Weddings only if you are in it. And funerals just the staff and the preacher.

I retired about 5 years ago as a hospital Accounting Manager. When I retired, most physicians wore a tie and everyone in an administrative position wore a suit or sport coat and a tie. I'm not sure but that has most likely change. But then again, maybe not. Northern Wisconsin is a world away from most places.

Although retired, I do work during the tax season and I wear a suit and tie Monday through Friday. When I work on a Saturday and / or Sunday, I wear a sport coat and tie. It's not required but IU do it because and old and can do what the heck I want.

I purchased a vehicle for my wife last year from a dealership in New Jersey. They had 15 sales consultants working on a Monday morning. Everyone of them in a suit and tie.

Troones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Early this year I took a job with a major Canadian insurance company with a world-wide presence. I work in administration, and I am expected to match the level of formality that the (male) sales advisors wear. Thankfully, that means suits for important meetings, and sport coat and slacks on more casual days. I'm also happy to report that the sales team still wear ties, which otherwise is very rare here in Toronto. I spent 14 years with a major bank and even there, I saw very few ties.

Given the rare chance to wear ties and not look out of place, I opt for a tie almost every day. I might go without with sportcoats but I figure I might as well make use of my ties while I can. One item that sets me apart from everyone though, is my navy blazer. I have a few an wear them often. One with gold buttons, a couple with darker metal buttons, one double breasted, etc. I think in the last half a year, I saw ONE other gentleman wearing a navy blazer on the street. And zero in my office.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Suits and ties for automobile sales consultants - I am a bit surprised. Around here it is more likely a polo shirt with the dealership logo on it.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
To a certain extent, there will always be a market for all types of dress wear and formal wear, bespoke and otherwise. That includes ties.
And morning dress: Especially if you're a king or a prince - not so much if you're a frog.
1566148972039.png

FiscalDean

United States
WI
Elcho
Suits and ties for automobile sales consultants - I am a bit surprised. Around here it is more likely a polo shirt with the dealership logo on it.
The owner has 14 dealerships in New Jersey and New York, all of them high end vehicles. I suspect most of their clients are most likely wearing a suit and tie and the consultants try to emulate the client. Having traveled from WI, I was dressed fairly casually.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts