EponymousFunk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
WARNING! Song parody ahead. Proceed at your own risk--

NECKTIES
(Sung to the tune of "Tammy," the Debbie Reynolds hit from 1957)

I feel unsettled so I'll start a thread--
"Neckties, neckties, neckties are dead"
It's the most morbid title that you've ever read--
"Neckties, neckties, neckties are dead"

Do you fellows see
What I see--
Suits with no ties
I look on so painfully--
That fashion sears my eyes

If you dress
As I dress
Then you're feelin' dread
Neckties, neckties, neckties are dead

Gentlemen, gentlemen what can we do
Neckties, neckties seem to be through
I guess setting standards is up to us few
Neckties, neckties--give them their due

Men--they still wear pants
Thank God, pants
I'd splutter and rant
If guys tossed out all their slacks
And down the street they pranced

If you dress
As I dress
Then you're feelin' dread
Neckties, neckties, neckties are dead
I applaud your sentiment, sir...but am force to observe you appear to have far too much time on your hands... ;)

Regards,

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
I applaud your sentiment, sir...but am force to observe you appear to have far too much time on your hands... ;)

Regards,
Blame it on the convenience of mobile devices and the enforced "leisure" that is otherwise known as "waiting to board the plane."

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
If we are experiencing the death of ties and most agree suits without ties is an undesirable look, then will death of suits be next?

That would leave sport coats and blazers or the less formal sweaters. In temperature controlled buildings sweaters would be unnecessary, but so would jackets for warmth.

The temperature could be set to be comfortable with jackets or sweaters.

That would allow comfortably choosing jackets and sweaters for the alternative purpose of improving ones' appearance.

So, perhaps hope exists for a future with sport coats, blazers and sweaters.

Otherwise, we are on the road to large parts of the population wearing only solid shirts looking bare or shirts with patterns that help nobody look better. OK. That has already happened. Hopefully jackets and sweaters will allow those who care enough to do something about their appearance to avoid the nether realm of shirts alone.

What causes the death of ties? Expense? Avoiding the fear of wearing a tie that doesn't look good with the wearer or the wearer's clothes? Inconvenience? Discomfort around the neck?

StephenRG suggested ties may be saved when they are recognized as a way to make one's ensemble unique.

Maybe they will be saved when they are recognized as a way to look better than when not wearing them. But that would require suits with ties or jackets with ties to have something about the combination that is more visually appealing than shirts alone. I think they are, but many apparently feel that isn't so or else the visual improvement isn't worth one or more of the negatives of tie wearing.

It would require a switch of motive for wearing suits or jackets and ties from a rule based motive: "They are what is worn in this profession or office or group." to a sensory based motive: "We look better / are more appealing to others when wearing suits or jackets and ties."

But moving entirely to sensory based motive wouldn't save ties if most people can appear better or as nice in clothes other than suits or jackets with ties.

Neither does it heed the social rules of clothes.

Last edited:

poppies

United States
California
Los Angeles
These dog days of summer often see me commute open-collar and carrying my suit coat, however.
Sorry to go off topic, but I was in D.C. recently, and saw many fellows walking about be-suited in sweltering, humid weather, and this quite amazed me. None of the suits seemed particularly exotic, like fresco or the like. I run rather hot, but I have trouble imagining how this could work on even the cooler-than-average chap who is going from one air-conditioned space to the next. Is there some secret to which I'm not privy?

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
Sorry to go off topic, but I was in D.C. recently, and saw many fellows walking about be-suited in sweltering, humid weather, and this quite amazed me. None of the suits seemed particularly exotic, like fresco or the like. I run rather hot, but I have trouble imagining how this could work on even the cooler-than-average chap who is going from one air-conditioned space to the next. Is there some secret to which I'm not privy?
This town has no shortage of people without the sense to take off a suit coat and/or loosen a tie rather than ruin the same by sweating profusely into them. That said, quite a number of non-Americans seem either to have more tolerance of the heat or simply no expectation for wearing a suit in summer not to involve sweat and discomfort.

Regards,

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
If we are experiencing the death of ties and most agree suits without ties is an undesirable look, then will death of suits be next? ...
Aside from the thermal properties of our environment, sartorial individualism, or the interplay of rule- and sense-based fashion drives, it seems most visions of the future converge on a culturally universal onesie as the final outcome of the fashion versus practicality dialectic.

So: yes, eventually the tie, the suit, the blazer, the sweater, trouser, etcetera ... all of it will “die”.

Regards,

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
Aside from the thermal properties of our environment, sartorial individualism, or the interplay of rule- and sense-based fashion drives, it seems most visions of the future converge on a culturally universal onesie as the final outcome of the fashion versus practicality dialectic.

So: yes, eventually the tie, the suit, the blazer, the sweater, trouser, etcetera ... all of it will “die”.

Regards,
I disagree. As I said before, to a certain extent, there will always be a market for all types of dress wear and formal wear, bespoke and otherwise. That includes blazers, dress pants, suits, sweaters and ties.

EponymousFunk

Washington Beltway
United States
DC
Washington
I disagree. As I said before, to a certain extent, there will always be a market for all types of dress wear and formal wear, bespoke and otherwise. That includes blazers, dress pants, suits, sweaters and ties.
We are of the same mind. My post was tongue-in-cheek (though apparently not obvious enough). 😉

Regards,

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I feel like suits have had a bit of a resurgence especially the skinny suit on young men. Maybe it's because they know they don't have to wear a tie with it?

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts