TKI67

Did you say, challis!? ;)

How about a nice gold wool challis to welcome the autumn? Think of all the different things it could be paired with. This is exactly the type of tie I enjoy pairing with nicer BD sport shirts. (Uh-oh, how much does this cost!? 🤔)

View attachment 34440
I love challis and have been thinking about a pine cone neat on green, maybe a paisley on navy, too. Oooo, maybe a bow!

mlenecare

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I share your belief that tie sales are plummeting. The local selection in Austin is awful. Our friend Flanderian has been sharing offerings from one of the present best sources. You cannot find a foulard, an ancient madder, a challis, or even a repp at Nordstrom.
I asked for grenadine at Nordstrom once and the salesmen didn't even know what it was. His boss an older gentleman did however and apologized saying that they hadn't carried any in years.

owlish

Starting Member
Old guy here. Tie with a suit, always. Tie optional with a sport coat.

I associate a suit without a tie with a young guy out 'clubbing'. He has the top two buttons of his shirt unbuttoned, and is exhibiting his 'personal style' without understanding that style and fashion are not the same.
I'm a bit of an old schooler myself. In my world, ties will never go out of style -- or by the wayside. If you are part of the contingent that still wants to "dress to impress," then high-quality neckwear matched to perfection plays a role.

TKI67

Beautiful ties!

And I find wool challis paisley very versatile. They cry out for a nice tweed!
Thanks. I agree and am so ready for tweed season! I’m thinking as regards shirts that the blue will go with a pink university stripe and the red either with a blue university stripe or a solid blue. All of my shirts are OCBD.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Thanks. I agree and am so ready for tweed season! I’m thinking as regards shirts that the blue will go with a pink university stripe and the red either with a blue university stripe or a solid blue. All of my shirts are OCBD.
I would think both would be great!

The right ecru, light enough without too much tan, tends to flatter my coloring, and I've found that the shade Brooks sells in their pinpoint OBD is about my sweet spot. And I'd happily steal both of your ties to pair with it!

:icon_saint7kg:

Hebrew Barrister

People have been talking about this for years now, but I believe it’s finally happening in an accelerated fashion. The last holdouts of tie wearing professions - bankers and lawyers - are finally capitulating, even in traditionally “old school” parts of the country where you would expect to see men continuing to wear traditional, conservative professional attire. As someone pointed out upthread, the default “professional” uniform - for when you have to get dressed up for an important meeting - has become the suit sans tie. I can’t stand it. If I want to fit in (by not wearing a tie), I’ll just wear a sport coat or blazer with odd trousers. I still can’t bring myself to wear a suit without a tie. It just feels like an incomplete outfit to me. Nevertheless, this look is seriously taking over. I would bet that tie sales are absolutely plummeting right now.
I'm an attorney, have been in practice since 06. Even when I started, every firm I had contact with (and I interviewed with a lot of BigLaw firms in 07) had already went business casual.

At my current firm (and my prior firm as well), the norm seems to be odd trousers and a sport coat, paired with a white or blue OCBD. Suits generally only seen on someone going to court that day, or on our client floor.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.