Odradek

Advanced Member
UK
Oxfordshire
Henley on Thames
I've been buying ties and flipping them on eBay for the past few years, but in the last six months ofr so the market has absolutely collapsed.
It seems you can't give away ties these days unless they are very high end brands such as Hermes, or oddball brands like Duchamp.

Duchamp has always puzzled me. I find all their ties (and shirts) to be hideous, but people pay big money for them.

owlish

Starting Member
United States
ILLINOIS
Vernon Hills
In metropolitan Chicago, where I roll, the look is decidedly suit or sport coat and open-collar button-down shirt for business. (The shoe choice these days is invariably brown, especially with the blues and mid-tone grays). It's almost a uniform. As a long-time tie aficionado, I still wear them to business meetings. And as I am a personal brand strategist, my neckwear helps me set the example of standing out.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
In metropolitan Chicago, where I roll, the look is decidedly suit or sport coat and open-collar button-down shirt for business. (The shoe choice these days is invariably brown, especially with the blues and mid-tone grays). It's almost a uniform. As a long-time tie aficionado, I still wear them to business meetings. And as I am a personal brand strategist, my neckwear helps me set the example of standing out.
I find it interesting how even as adults we gravitate to de facto uniforms. At least, unlike high school, you won’t (I hope) be openly teased for wearing the wrong thing!

Troones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
This topic always makes me sad. I'd much rather people look at me and think "I like his tie", or even "I don't like his tie", instead of "why is that guy wearing a tie?"

Things overheard, past, present and future:

1985: Look at how skinny his tie is!
1995: Look at how wide his tie is!
2005: nice tie! Job interview?
2015: Why is he wearing a tie?
2025: What's that thing around his neck?

Steve Smith

United States
North Carolina
Newport
Old guy here. Tie with a suit, always. Tie optional with a sport coat.

I associate a suit without a tie with a young guy out 'clubbing'. He has the top two buttons of his shirt unbuttoned, and is exhibiting his 'personal style' without understanding that style and fashion are not the same.

Steve Smith

United States
North Carolina
Newport
I've been buying ties and flipping them on eBay for the past few years, but in the last six months ofr so the market has absolutely collapsed.
Suits and ties have slowed in sales and the prices have softened quite a lot over the last 3 years. I have a looming opportunity to buy a very large number of suits and this trend has me questioning whether to do it.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
Suits and ties have slowed in sales and the prices have softened quite a lot over the last 3 years. I have a looming opportunity to buy a very large number of suits and this trend has me questioning whether to do it.
I watched a video on YouTube from a guy named Kirby Allison and in the video. He was at a restaurant with employees from Anderson & Shepherd, Chittleborough & Morgan, Henry Poole and Huddersfield.

They said that Savile Row is growing after a bit of a tough spot in the 1980s and 1990s.

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
I watched a video on YouTube from a guy named Kirby Allison and in the video. He was at a restaurant with employees from Anderson & Shepherd, Chittleborough & Morgan, Henry Poole and Huddersfield.

They said that Savile Row is growing after a bit of a tough spot in the 1980s and 1990s.
He's the guy from the Hangar Project.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts