The Dreaded "Tie Without A Jacket" Issue: Casual Workplace Edition

Lazer Tron

Starting Member
United States
Virginia
Richmond
I work in a fun/casual entertainment-type environment (in staffing and development). I'm often outside walking around in the summer for hours at a time. Once a week I even have to change out of my suit and put on a regular staff uniform halfway through the day. I'm the only man who wears a suit. Even my boss...and his boss...and his boss...wear polo shirts or just a shirt and tie.

With summer coming again...I just can't with the jackets anymore.

Also...semi-related...I've been losing weight recently (after an injury that limited my movement, resulting in a massive weight gain)...so...on my limited budget, I'm not really wanting to replace my wardrobe with expensive suits when I'm clearly overdressed AND will likely have to get them altered again fairly soon anyway.

My thought was to just get some chinos in fun colors and wear them with a button up shirt. But I feel like I should still wear a tie. Mostly because I like wearing ties...but also because the people above me wear them on "business attire" days...so, I'd still be slightly more formal on most days. And then on "business attire" days I could break out a jacket and still be a notch more formal than everyone else.

Anyone want to set me straight on my insanity?

Last edited:

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Just because you like wearing a tie doesn’t mean you should.

Colored chinos aren’t something I’d consider wearing a tie with. On those occasions when you need a more business formal outfit, then do so.

The workplace can be tricky. What’s the culture like? If you wore a tie with colorful chinos would you stand out or blend in?

Lazer Tron

Starting Member
United States
Virginia
Richmond
It's a very youthful environment (almost everyone I interact with is under 30...I'd say the plurality being teenagers)...so on the rare occasions when people do dress up, it's often in FAR more "fun" colors than I, as an older person, would dare try. I'm talking not just the standard navy pants/white shirt or Khaki pants/blue shirt get ups that the other people my age are wearing. I'm not walking in with periwinkle pants on....that's too fun for me.

And I get that I shouldnt just wear a tie just because I want to...but like I said...the people above me generally wear a shirt and tie, no jacket. I know that this is frowned upon for an office...but again...we're all mostly back and forth outside and often never go back to an office after we leave...so, I think it's just a matter of convenience at a very casual place.

cosmotoast

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It's funny how workplaces are. You say you're the most formal dresser and the tie is more formal. Well, think about this. In most workplaces people have a style they dress in. If you wear a tie every single day everyone will just get used to it because that's how you always look.

Kyle76

United States
NC
Fayetteville
Just don't ever wear a tie with a short-sleeve shirt. In fact, don't wear a short-sleeve cut-and-sewn shirt at all.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
Just don't ever wear a tie with a short-sleeve shirt. In fact, don't wear a short-sleeve cut-and-sewn shirt at all.
Never fully understood the aversion to short sleeve shirts, aside from the apparent association with being a dork.

I wear them untucked all the time, even the ones with a curved hem.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
I work in a fun/casual entertainment-type environment....I'm often outside walking around in the summer for hours at a time.
You're "often outside walking around in the summer for hours at a time"?

Punchline #1:

Good Lord, man! Tell your doctor; there's medication that can put a stop to that.

Punchline #2:

Well stop with the liquid lunches; then you won't have such a hard time finding your way back to your office.

Take your pick. It's Punchline Monday.

Once a week I even have to change out of my suit and put on a regular staff uniform halfway through the day.
What's a "regular staff uniform"? And why do you need to wear it only once a week for half a day?

My thought was to just get some chinos in fun colors and wear them with a button up shirt.
No "fun" colors. As I told someone else in this forum a couple of weeks ago, men should not try to dress "fun;" they usually screw up when they do that. Stick with understated clothing. Use a pleasant demeanor to fit in and a superb work ethic to stand out. Your clothes should be an unremarkable backdrop as you go about your job.

But I feel like I should still wear a tie. Mostly because I like wearing ties...but also because the people above me wear them on "business attire" days...so, I'd still be slightly more formal on most days. And then on "business attire" days I could break out a jacket and still be a notch more formal than everyone else.
What determines if a day is going to be a "business attire" day? Other than wearing "business attire," what happens on those days that doesn't happen on the other days?

It's a very youthful environment (almost everyone I interact with is under 30...I'd say the plurality being teenagers)...
Ahh....you test video games! You make sure they depict plenty of gore and violence. Excellent.

so on the rare occasions when people do dress up, it's often in FAR more "fun" colors than I, as an older person, would dare try.
Good. Leave the "fun" colors to everyone else. You don't need them. Not at work, anyway. Maybe when you are vacationing at some resort.

And I get that I shouldnt just wear a tie just because I want to
Smart insight. Good.

but like I said...the people above me generally wear a shirt and tie, no jacket.
Compromise. Don't walk around all the time wearing a necktie with no jacket, but keep a tie handy--in your desk or backpack or wherever. Then put it on whenever you think you should be wearing a tie. Make the tie a solid burgundy grenadine because it will harmonize with almost all of your clothes. For variety, also get a solid navy and perhaps a solid black grenadine. (But it's advisable to wear them one at a time.)

Kyle76

United States
NC
Fayetteville
Never fully understood the aversion to short sleeve shirts, aside from the apparent association with being a dork.

I wear them untucked all the time, even the ones with a curved hem.
With or without pocket protectors?