The Dreaded "Tie Without A Jacket" Issue: Casual Workplace Edition

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I had assumed that when the original poster talked about wearing a jacket, he meant wearing one to work, then taking it off, to be put on again when he left or perhaps for a meeting.

I don’t recall ever working with anyone who kept his jacket on all day. I do recall that they used to make fun of Richard Nixon for doing it (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
I'm old enough to know that in Nixon's era it was commonplace for a gentleman to keep his jacket on in the office while working, even in the south where A/C was hardly universal. What you might be recalling was a photo of Nixon walking a beach wearing dress shoes. At least one photo suggested he was wearing a coat and tie as well, but close examinations cast doubt on that. But it is true that Nixon was a buttoned-up kind of man and uncomfortable in public wearing casual attire.

cosmotoast

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I know a farmer, has his heart set on being a CEO. And a college buddy now a CEO who really wants to be a farmer. Aspiration is subjective. A fast food manager can be a calling, can be a step or an end. Up to the individual. Not for us to decry ambition no matter the trade. I'm hoping Andy's book doesn't say what you say it does.
I apologize, I found where I read that on a different site.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I had assumed that when the original poster talked about wearing a jacket, he meant wearing one to work, then taking it off, to be put on again when he left or perhaps for a meeting.

I don’t recall ever working with anyone who kept his jacket on all day. I do recall that they used to make fun of Richard Nixon for doing it (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
Richard Nixon was intellectually more gifted than most of those he worked with and/or was judged by, but he also occasionally exhibited a fatal flaw in his sense of integrity. He paid for that. Most of those who made fun of him were not worthy of exercising such privilege. :(

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Richard Nixon was intellectually more gifted than most of those he worked with and/or was judged by, but he also occasionally exhibited a fatal flaw in his sense of integrity. He paid for that. Most of those who made fun of him were not worthy of exercising such privilege. :(
If you don’t have integrity, does it really matter what else you have? I’m not necessarily talking about Nixon, just in general.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
^

Eagle said occasional lapse in integrity, somewhat better than a full bore 24/7 lack. Eagle, I gave you a like on the Nixon post and I mention it here because I seldom walk on what we Liz Warrenites call the wild side, but Nixon is not disliked by me and his crimes are overrated. But to the clothes, he dressed well, stood and walked well and, until Reagan came along, had the best speaking voice of any President in my memory, which would be, voicewise, Truman, ouch, Ike, ouch, Kennedy, ouch, LBJ, double ouch, Ford, ouch, Carter, sorta ouch.

Hounds Talion

Starting Member
United States
Ohio
Akron
I must use this opportunity to post one of my favorites from Nixon- and the motto is fine too.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I must use this opportunity to post one of my favorites from Nixon- and the motto is fine too.

Welcome to the forum. And to keep it focused on clothing - I like the shirt and tie. Not quite the wider spread collar seen so commonly today but well suited to his face.

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Read through and see no mention of what suits @Lazer Tron is wearing in the Summer. Having experienced the Southern Mid-Atlantic in Summer, know the humidity is oppressive (especially when 36 percent BMI). What happened to unlined tri-blend, silk, linen, or cotton suits and sport coats in a loose weave?

Also, do not see a mention of a lightweight waistcoat with self back. No sleeves to make one hot and sweat into yet your dressed. If really a lot of activity, also keep the tie in place out of danger. This is where would have some fun, like ivory or cream, light blue, true blue, or even a medium green drawing attention to the upper body rather than the lower.

As for cost and changing weight, why not look in thrift stores? I hate Goodwill for being corporate, though do have half off Saturdays and have found amazing deals, usually get a sport coat for $5 to 7.50. When loose enough weight no longer fit, donate them.

By the way, there is a thermal comfort rating called the clo. It was developed in the 1940's and 1 is equivalent to a male being comfortable in a wool three piece suit at 70*F. Now folks are only comfortable at that temperature in a shirt and trousers, times sure have changed.