The Dreaded "Tie Without A Jacket" Issue: Casual Workplace Edition

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Look what the Gentleman's Gazette brought us this morning:

A bit wordy. Did find interesting the virtual jacket was mentioned.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
A seemingly knowledgeable young man, presenting very logical arguments for doing something right or not doing it at all. However, at my age, I inescapably feel that I have just been lectured at by a young (whippersnapper) know-it-all! ;)

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
^^
A seemingly knowledgeable young man, presenting very logical arguments for doing something right or not doing it at all. However, at my age, I inescapably feel that I have just been lectured at by a young (whippersnapper) know-it-all! ;)
The Gentleman's Gazette channel is extremely spot on for classical dress (even if Sven leans heavily toward the dandy side of things), and a great source of info for it, but I tune out when they discuss anything more modern or less formal. Definitely not their forte.

That said, a tie with no jacket is like non-alcoholic beer. Do it right or don't bother.

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
^^
Rafael's protégé, as Rafael now has a daughter to spend time with. To my understanding, Rafael chooses the subject and writes the script, so almost as good, though as you said, he is young and improving his presentation abilities. Maybe even younger than I.

The Gentleman's Gazette channel is extremely spot on for classical dress (even if Sven leans heavily toward the dandy side of things), and a great source of info for it, but I tune out when they discuss anything more modern or less formal. Definitely not their forte.

That said, a tie with no jacket is like non-alcoholic beer. Do it right or don't bother.
Agree with you about Rafael (he explained goes by his middle name per German cultural norm) in that he is a dandy, even said it and in a book of dandies. So yes, some content is dandyish, though then all of a sudden something casual, like an undershirt and sport coat. :O= (sadly the iPhone smilies are not allowed and no option for a puke smiley)

Okay analogy, however, non-alcoholic beer still has alcohol. :p

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Is that you, Congressman Jordan?
Gym Jordan!!

Of course, Gym Jordan is a good example of someone who doesn't dress right for his job. He should be wearing a suit jacket at all times on the Hill. But for most workplaces, he would be well dressed.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
But it can be right. It can be made right so easily....

Chip, there's a quick way out of your dilemma. Here's how: wear a "virtual jacket."

I guess I should back up.

A brilliant lawyer used to post frequently in this forum. His user name was "Cuffdaddy." (I am sorry to report that he's no longer an active member.) All of his comments were unusually insightful. I am going to give you the gist of something he said years ago:

You need not feel as though your attire is incomplete if the only thing missing from your classic business outfit is a jacket. Take your jacket to work. Day after day, take your jacket to work. Then keep it on a hanger or draped over the back of your desk chair. As long as your co-workers sense that you come to work with a jacket and leave with a jacket, it won't make any difference to them if you actually wear the jacket in between those events: the other people in the workplace will subconsciously perceive you as wearing a "virtual jacket." Aware that you always have a jacket handy, their minds will automatically add that "virtual jacket" to your appearance whenever they see you, thereby completing your outfit for you. Effectively, you'll still be a guy in a jacket.

So, Chip, take a jacket to school. Every school day. When the day is hot and humid, just carry the jacket. As soon as you enter the classroom, hang it up or drape it over your chair. Your students, the other teachers, the administrators--they'll all perceive you as the guy in the jacket. Your outfit will be complete thanks to, in Cuffdaddy's words, your "virtual jacket."

And all will be right.

EDIT: If you type "virtual jacket" (but without the quotation marks) in the search field, Cuffdaddy's post (from 2012) is readily accessible. I don't know how to do a link to it.
This is actually a very good post and good advice.