The Eames Lounge Chair

Discussion in 'The Interchange' started by AaroninOC, Oct 15, 2013.

1. AaroninOC

AaroninOC Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    California
    Irvine
    I am about to purchase a pair of Eames Lounge Chairs in walnut finish with black leather next month and wondered if anyone on the forum happened to own one of these chairs themselves. I adore the look and the comfort is really unmatched in my opinion. Naturally, this is not a small investment, so if anyone has two cents worth of free advice, please feel free to chime in!

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/lounge-seating/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman.html

2. AaroninOC

United States
    California
    Irvine
    Okay guys, not all at once.

3. Tilton

Tilton Advanced Member

United States
    Arlington
    Virginia
    My father has one chair and one ottoman, purchased some time in the early 70's. I would not call it an investment but it will last a long time. I have little doubt that chair will grace my living room (or man-cave) in another 5 years or so when they decide to move some place warmer.

4. smmrfld

smmrfld Super Member

United States
    California
    Pleasanton
    Have had one for years...the look is classic but it's not all that comfortable.

5. CuffDaddy

CuffDaddy Connoisseur

I think my aunt has one* (in a rather repulsive greyish-greenish blue leather). I always found it comfortable, and my aunt sits in hers a lot. She's had it at least 30 years. Seems to have held up pretty well.

* Or something that looks exactly the same in terms of shape. I've never discussed it with her, nor looked for a label.

6. WouldaShoulda

WouldaShoulda Suspended

United States
    VA
    Alexandria
    I hope it comes with a gigantic stereo and headphones.

A groovy floor lamp for reading is also a must.

[​IMG]

7. AaroninOC

United States
    California
    Irvine
    I like that couch!

8. AaroninOC

United States
    California
    Irvine
    That is a fair point, I should have called it an expense rather than an investment. That said, I hope they will be the last lounge chair I have to purchase.

9. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    When faced with making a similar decision, I went with an Ekorne Stressless Recliner. It may not have the designer street creds of the "Eames Lounge Chair," but you will find nothing that will treat your back more kindly. The Ekorne is my 'go-to' seating in the man cave! ;)

jackmccullough likes this.
  10. Tilton

Tilton Advanced Member

United States
    Arlington
    Virginia
    I have the Ekorne stressless myself (albeit a hand-me-down from my father, bought in the late 70's [I think]) and I find it much more comfortable than the Eames, but the style is certainly not quite the same. Mine is the old version pictured below.

[​IMG]