The Length of a No Vent Jacket and a Double Vent Jacket

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by chris2008, Jun 14, 2019.

1. chris2008

chris2008 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    Nesconset
    I was watching Antonio Centeno discuss jacket vents. In his video he said that a double vent jacket "can be a little bit longer" and that no vent jackets are "usually just a little bit shorter." Here is a link to Antonio's video:

If no vent jackets are typically shorter, and double vent jackets are typically longer, why is this so?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Andy

Andy Site Creator/Administrator Staff Member

United States
    California
    Palm Desert
    Admin Post
    chris2008:

Never heard that one before. ?? The traditional rule is that the jacket is long enough to cover your behind. Vents, number or no shouldn't be a factor.

Matt S likes this.
  3. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I suppose if you have no vent it's harder to get into your rear pockets so perhaps that's the rationale?

Actually, after watching the video it sounds like he is not proposing a large difference. He doesn't specify the amount but the implication is less than an inch which shouldn't make much of a difference. As an aside, he also has a strange lapel on the left side (looks like a functioning button?)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. Searching_Best_Fit

Searching_Best_Fit Senior Member

Canada
    Ontario
    Mississauga
    Hunting jacket, throat latch that can close the collar for more weather protection. Commonly seen in English hunting jackets.

The button is supposed to be hidden under his right collar.

Matt S and JBierly like this.
  5. richard warren

richard warren Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Louisiana
    covington
    He’s an internet style “expert,” whose advice is worth what you pay for it.

In theory, jacket length of any sort should be what compliments the wearer, which changes from person to person and probably from suit to suit, but not in a way subject to a priori analysis. Some of my favorite suits of all times were those big, long suits invented suits from the late early nineties, much reviled now I suppose. Such as they were, they make current Peewee Herman-on-steroids parodies of suits look like the pinnacle of good taste.

In reality, heuristics such as the length in relation to one’s knuckles are used, and probably give a better result than any attempt to get a custom fit, short perhaps of very high end, which itself seems to have succumbed to fashion.

Troones and frydeswide like this.
  6. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    +1.

I was chagrined a few years ago when posting photos of Pee Wee and realizing that compared to what is currently being advertised, his suits were literally a nonpareil of fit. :(

eagle2250 likes this.