Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Do you think it might just be this Forum's influence?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
It took, basically, over a generation to kill off pleats and, my guess, it will take another generation to bring them back.

The kids under 40 weren't sold flat fronts as a nice alternative, they were sold them as the singular "right" pants with only old, out-of-touch men wearing pleated ones. It was an aggressive (insulting and obnoxious) sales campaign by the fashion industry, but it worked.

The downside (and a much deserved one) for the fashion industry is that it is not going to convince most of those men to wear pleated pants - IMO.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Smart young men internationally, as differentiated from the British/American fashion industry, which is largely all that American men get to see long ago embraced pleats over flat front pants. Venture outside North America and the UK, and that's what you'll find them wearing. The British/American fashion industry thinks they're still leading the pack, when the reality is they've yet to catch up.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Just the other day I was playing golf and one of the guys said "Aren't those out of style?". And I said "What?". He pointed to my pleats. One of the other guys said "I hope not!".

I explained pleats were not a fashion then described the tradition and function. Evidently his wife had told him pleats were "out of style"!!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Just the other day I was playing golf and one of the guys said "Aren't those out of style?". And I said "What?". He pointed to my pleats. One of the other guys said "I hope not!".

I explained pleats were not a fashion then described the tradition and function. Evidently his wife had told him pleats were "out of style"!!
Good story and it emphasizes my point: The fashion industry sold! flat fronts so hard that it will take a long time / a generation to unsell them.

People who couldn't care less about men's fashion or style "know" not to wear pleats.

The only joy I take from this is watching the fashion industry's desperate and pathetic attempts to u̵n̵r̵i̵n̵g̵ ̵t̵h̵e̵ ̵b̵e̵l̵l̵ sell pleats to a public it taught that pleats were toxic.

For almost five years now I've watched J.Crew try through products, ad copy and "stories" to slowly "reintroduce" pleats as it knows it could make a bundle if men would now replace even half of their flat-front pants with pleated ones.

But so far - no go. J.Crew sold pleats-as-oldmanness as hard as it could, now it's reaping what it sowed.

paul winston

Advertiser
United States
new york
new york
Good story and it emphasizes my point: The fashion industry sold! flat fronts so hard that it will take a long time / a generation to unsell them.

People who couldn't care less about men's fashion or style "know" not to wear pleats.

The only joy I take from this is watching the fashion industry's desperate and pathetic attempts to u̵n̵r̵i̵n̵g̵ ̵t̵h̵e̵ ̵b̵e̵l̵l̵ sell pleats to a public it taught that pleats were toxic.

For almost five years now I've watched J.Crew try through products, ad copy and "stories" to slowly "reintroduce" pleats as it knows it could make a bundle if men would now replace even half of their flat-front pants with pleated ones.

But so far - no go. J.Crew sold pleats-as-oldmanness as hard as it could, now it's reaping what it sowed.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts