guitone

Advanced Member
United States
MA
E Longmeadow
All being said I have never been comfortable in Dress Pants with flat fronts when seated, chinos and jeans are never a problem, not sure why. I tried on some flat front dress pants, sat in a chair, stood up and went to take them off immediately. I think the last ones I bought were just too full, and also 2 waist sizes too big. When the pair come in that should fit me I will have more information.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
I'm commissioning a pair of trousers in dark green/british racing green with double forward pleats. Will post them ITT when I get them.

I like pleats in fabrics that will hold a crease and follow it into the pleat itself. Has a cool, stylish effect. I wouldn't get pleats in a fabric where the pleats constantly splayed open and didn't close.

Of course, more hip/thigh/pocket room is great too.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I'm commissioning a pair of trousers in dark green/british racing green with double forward pleats. Will post them ITT when I get them.

I like pleats in fabrics that will hold a crease and follow it into the pleat itself. Has a cool, stylish effect. I wouldn't get pleats in a fabric where the pleats constantly splayed open and didn't close.

Of course, more hip/thigh/pocket room is great too.
Thanks! I'd enjoying seeing the results.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Pleats shouldn't be a fashion thing. Slimmer men look better in flat front, others look better in pleats. IMO. Wear what flatters your physique.

cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad
Wear what flatters your physique.
Precisely. For a heavier man, pleats can also make it more comfortable when wearing higher rising trousers, while giving the trousers a nice line. They're practical and can more easily make a flattering fit for some.

I took a bunch of advice for years, including "Pleats and cuffs make you look shorter" or "fatter" or whatever. " Short men shouldn't have pleats or cuffs." "Pleats make you look heavy." ugh. They don't. Well fit trousers look -- well fit. And I don't look any fatter or shorter with pleats and cuffs than I do with straight fronts and no cuffs, as long as my trousers fit well and are a good length.

It is amazing how something like this gets perpetuated. The bulk of people who repeat adages like this seem to just be parroting what they read the last place. And I include magazines from the pre internets days in that statement. Maybe it comes from the 80s when casual pants had pleats and were super baggy? Or 40s suits which were baggier and had more drape?

Whatever, this sort of trend following isn't limited to fashion. I've learned to take proclamations about these sorts of things with a grain of salt.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Got an e-mail from Paul Stuart today, notice anything!? :rolleyes:

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts