I think that is an interesting question. What would you choose between
1) Dark brown;
2) Burgundy (lets add color 8 here);

Which one do you find more versatile?
And in which setup:
a)Formal setup (suits);
b)Casual (smart);

Please list your opinions.

I am personally choosing between cordovan loafers in these 2 colors, for only smart casual instances.
But it is just me, please list your personal preference and opinion.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

blue suede shoes

United States
maryland
towson
For suits its cordovan. For casual it could be either, considering that light to medium brown leather shoes are very fashionable today. You should buy one pair of each to cover all bases.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
I find #8 to be the most versatile shoe color there is. The only times I wouldn’t wear it as a top choice would be with a dinner jacket or a navy suit. I’d even be ok with it with a navy suit if my black shoes were at the cobbler.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
For suits its cordovan. For casual it could be either, considering that light to medium brown leather shoes are very fashionable today. You should buy one pair of each to cover all bases.
Cordovan is not a color, it’s the material.

There’s burgundy and there’s color #8 and then there’s brown. There are also various other colors including black (please, I don’t want to hear about how black is not a color).

If you’re intent on buying a loafer, in my opinion either will work. A loafer is not something I’d wear with a suit so my thoughts would straight away go to a more causal outfit.

And I agree with Peak & Pine; the question is poorly worded and I would only hope that English is not your mother tongue.

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
I would find dark brown or burgundy cordovan leather loafers to be about equal in terms of versatility.

I find that the most versatile pair of loafers period to be chocolate suede tassels.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Cordovan is not a color, it’s the material.
Indeed it isn't!

There’s burgundy and there’s color #8 and then there’s brown.
But what about oxblood? ;)

The only point of my wise-a** question being that it relates to the same issue you raise by pointing out that cordovan is a type of hide rather than a color. These color terms are used rather loosely and tend to be somewhat interchangeable.

I'd describe color #8, a particular shade deriving from Horween's elected classification of colors, as being a darker brownish-red. And if someone were to refer to oxblood, I'd think it equally descriptive of that color, or similar colors, incorporating both the colors red and brown.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
#8 shell cordovan, burgundy, Merlot, Oxblood..."some say potato; others say patatoe!" Whatever you call it the color burgundy is the most versatile shoe color, be it dressy or casual. K.I.S.S....or so I've been told. ;)