• Casual - Dark Brown

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

AleksejsN

Starting Member
UK
London
London
Cordovan is not a color, it’s the material.

There’s burgundy and there’s color #8 and then there’s brown. There are also various other colors including black (please, I don’t want to hear about how black is not a color).

If you’re intent on buying a loafer, in my opinion either will work. A loafer is not something I’d wear with a suit so my thoughts would straight away go to a more causal outfit.

And I agree with Peak & Pine; the question is poorly worded and I would only hope that English is not your mother tongue.
Sorry for my formulation, it is not my first language indeed.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
To my eye, color #8 comes off more like a deep eggplant vs. burgundy or oxblood. It really is a unique color.

AleksejsN

Starting Member
UK
London
London
Okay, I was hoping someone, anyone, would ask me nonsensical, poorly-worded questions about shoes this Sunday morning and, lo, it's happened, so my answer to this hoped-for question is black, maybe. But I'm not sure. I don't know much about shoes.
My bad, will be more careful next time.

Any ideas regarding topic?

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
My bad, will be more careful next time.

Any ideas regarding topic?
Well your English is a lot better than my Latvian. All in all oxblood, merlot, burgundy (there are perhaps subtle differences - merlot can be a bit more purplish) is a much more useful color. It pairs better with both grey and navy which are classic colors for mens suits.

frankmartin

United States
Georgia
Suwanee
Horween color 8 is converted to Alden color 8 via (from what I hear) an acrylic finish which includes some dye. Alden makes it really dark and kinda purple. I don't really consider it a very honest finish, but I have a pair of Alden color 8 shoes and I do like them.

Color 8 is sometimes so dark that it almost looks black. If it's almost black, then what's the point?

IMHO, some shade of dark-ISH mid-brown is the most versatile. Brown shoes that are so dark that they can be mistaken for black are largely pointless IMHO. They might as well just be black if folks can't tell the difference.

Burgundy colored belts, wallets, briefcases, and bags are just not as available as brown ones. Black and brown seem to be the most common colors for these accessories. I don't wear my color 8 shoes anywhere near as often as brown ones often because my choice of belts is more limited.

Last edited:

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
IMHO, some shade of dark-ISH mid-brown is the most versatile. Brown shoes that are so dark that they can be mistaken for black are largely pointless IMHO. They might as well just be black if folks can't tell the difference.
While I agree that mid-dark brown is most versatile, very dark brown that looks almost black looks great with dark brown suits or trousers. There are also times when one might want high contrast with his shoes and trousers, and very dark brown shoes can look quite elegant. While black has a cool look, very dark brown has a warm tone that will go better with other warm tones in a subtle way.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Horween color 8 is converted to Alden color 8 via (from what I hear) an acrylic finish which includes some dye. Alden makes it really dark and kinda purple. I don't really consider it a very honest finish, but I have a pair of Alden color 8 shoes and I do like them.

Color 8 is sometimes so dark that it almost looks black. If it's almost black, then what's the point?

Burgundy colored belts, wallets, briefcases, and bags are just not as available as brown ones. Black and brown seem to be the most common colors for these accessories. I don't wear my color 8 shoes anywhere near as often as brown ones often because my choice of belts is more limited.
I seriously doubt that Alden puts acrylic lacquer on Horween's lovely cordovan. From wence cometh your information? :icon_scratch:

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
How many burgundy belts do you need to be able to wear your burgundy colored shoes?

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
There are plenty of places to find a burgundy belt. Brooks Brothers to start with.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts