roman totale XVII

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
I picked up a copy of this recently. Having been something of a dabbler in The Fall's oeuvre, certainly their latter releases are wholly unknown to me, I am now minded to rectify my negligence and further explore the treasure of Mark E. Smith's extraordinary legacy.
Although it’s a somewhat obscure reference to anyone but the most hardened fan, my username gives me away as a huge aficionado of The Fall. The legacy is indeed extraordinary and I won’t try and give any direction on what releases you should listen to first as there’s simply no consensus. John Peel put it best when he said that you have to listen to them all. All I’ll say is that, of the latter period, my opinion is that the last truly magnificent Fall album was Imperial Wax Solvent (2008) and the last great album was Re-mit (2013). Of course, it’s all relative and the worst Fall album is still miles ahead of pretty much anything by anyone else.

Shaver

Suspended
England
Manchester
I had the distinct, well, not pleasure exactly, experience perhaps(?) of witnessing Sunno))) in concert earlier this week.

Here is a photo of the band onstage. You read that correctly, this is the band onstage.

After completing filling Manchester's Albert Hall theatre with an impenetrable fog of dry ice the group commenced one of the loudest performances I have ever endured, opening with this half hour dirge played at a volume that trembled my innards. It was more performance art than heavy metal but no less enchanting for that. Hypnotic repetition, mind expanding sensory deprivation, to paraphrase Nietzsche; the abyss gazing also.

Shaver

Suspended
England
Manchester
Less sophisticated but no less important, lacking gravitas but leaking grooviness, a rather perfect late 70's mission statement from the inimitable Poly Styrene of the X-Ray Spex.

roman totale XVII

Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
I had the distinct, well, not pleasure exactly, experience perhaps(?) of witnessing Sunno))) in concert earlier this week.

Here is a photo of the band onstage. You read that correctly, this is the band onstage.

After completing filling Manchester's Albert Hall theatre with an impenetrable fog of dry ice the group commenced one of the loudest performances I have ever endured, opening with this half hour dirge played at a volume that trembled my innards. It was more performance art than heavy metal but no less enchanting for that. Hypnotic repetition, mind expanding sensory deprivation, to paraphrase Nietzsche; the abyss gazing also.

Sunno))) are something else. Here’s the amp stack from when I saw them in Cleveland a couple of years ago in a pretty small club.

911A57FA-29D6-467A-A493-D5FC03DE3A9E.jpeg

roman totale XVII

Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
I’m pleased to hear that the Doctor Sleep movie, the follow up to The Shining, appears to be a decent film in its own right. In celebration here’s a classic from Head of David. Enjoy.