The sinking pocket square.

DRWWE

United States
CA
Redding
I try to wear a pocket square whenever I’m wearing a jacket. I’ve managed to accumulate a nice collection of them in various materials (silk, cotton, linen, wool). Mostly I use a rectangular fold or some sort of pouf. Unfortunately within an hour or so of application the square manages to sink into my pocket and requires frequent adjustment. Aside from glueing or stapling in into place, how can this annoyance be avoided?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Most PS's require some degree of adjustment during a day of wear, but the particular problem you're describing is a common one, but easily remedied. It results from a disparity between the pocket volume and how the particular PS fits it. My solution, which works well, is to take a kleenex, or more if needed, wad it up and tuck it in, and tuck the PS in on top of it. And the PS ain't sinkin' nowhere! (Though until your refine the technique, it may attempt to leap from your pocket! :D)

Last edited:

EdwardWilson

United States
Illinois
Chicago
It is a struggle many of us share. I make the size of the pocket square larger than the size of the breast pocket and stuff it in. Cotton and Linen also hold better than silk.

I own a number of old Fitzgerald Brooks Brothers suits and I had my tailor make the pockets slightly smaller, because they were disproportionately wide and deep. That might be an option for you.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
^

Struggle? Not if you use the @Flanderian fix. Make it fail safe by permanently decreasing the pocket's depth by a few light stitches across the pocket's lining about half way down. You can access the lining from the exterior by reaching in and pulling out.

And, for a little chuckle tho it works, if you're dying for a square, but don't have one handy, pull the lining up and out. It's silky and a compatible color (else it wouldn't have been chosen as the lining.)

Last edited:

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
Most PS's require some degree of adjustment during a day of wear, but the particular problem you're describing is a common one, but easily remedied. It results from a disparity between the pocket volume and how the particular PS fits it. My solution, which works well, is to take a kleenex, or more of needed, wad it up and tuck it in, and tuck the PS in on top of it. And the PS ain't sinkin' nowhere! (Though until refined, it may attempt to leap from your pocket! :D)
I feel really dumb for not having thought of this before. Thanks Flanderian.

OldMetairie

Starting Member
New Orleans, LA
United States
LA
Metairie
There are doohickies from amazon and other sources that will hold the shape and keep it from sinking. They are a bit gimmicky but relatively cheap. Conversely you could fashion your own from a piece of cardboard.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
The few times I wear a pocket square they all seem to be white or Ivory in hue and folded simply in what I believe is called the "Executive Fold." They never seem to sag, but I must caution you...I have yet to display a pocket square in 2019 and did so in 2018 just twice (as I recall)! ;)

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
I sometimes use a piece of cardboard to ensure my pocket square stays put! Nobody will ever know from looking at it. I cut a square piece for square folds and a rounded piece for puffs.