32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Liberty Mutual Insurance commercials.

This one is my (least) favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dExU28OChOI

Followed, closely, by this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdDQOTutTH4

Drives me batty every time I see one. Are people really so stupid that they don't understand the realities of actuarial tables? They must be. "Hi, I'm Liberty Mutual Insurance, and I'm going to set aside the laws of probability to make a deal with you!" Lordy.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
United States
North Carolina
Charlotte
I wouldn't get involved with that second one, especially if my name was Brad ( Oh, I totaled him, but I got a replacement). And come to think of it, I don't think I'd lend the first one anything of value. .

It's just typical advertising, like the car deals on TV and in the Sunday papers: to get THAT price you have to hit every discount category they offer, active duty military & full time student & first time buyer, etc. Unlikely, but possible, so, no fraud.

You can get Liberty Mutual's moondust, but it won't be cheap, quite the contrary. On a policy you can afford, you'll get an Ethelbert, Jr. instead of a new Brad.

Last edited:

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Three boyfriends and two jobs?

Honey, get your s••t together!

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Whoever that individual may be, I didn't watch the video, he or she must be having a good time.

Gurdon
She. And I think she means that she's gone through 3 boyfriends and 2 jobs during the time she owned her car.

I'd actually consider someone like that to be in a higher risk category from a pure risk assessment standpoint. Strange that an insurance company chose to feature her as a sample customer.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I've been with the same insurance carrier for my life, home, auto, etc. for the past 47 years. When you have a winner, stick with it. LOL, Liberty Mutual is going to have to do a who lot better than those videos to get me to consider changing carriers at this point!

Gurdon

United States
California
Forestville
She. And I think she means that she's gone through 3 boyfriends and 2 jobs during the time she owned her car.

I'd actually consider someone like that to be in a higher risk category from a pure risk assessment standpoint. Strange that an insurance company chose to feature her as a sample customer.
Interesting. Would the risk assessment change if the actor were male? Also, isn't changing jobs and not being married somewhat characteristic of youngish people? Actually, wouldn't an insurance agency want to attract higher risk customers?

Higher risk=higher rates, which generates higher profits. Whatever category the individual is in, the premiums charged are going to reflect actuarial assessment of assured profit.

Gurdon

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Interesting. Would the risk assessment change if the actor were male? Also, isn't changing jobs and not being married somewhat characteristic of youngish people? Actually, wouldn't an insurance agency want to attract higher risk customers?

Higher risk=higher rates, which generates higher profits. Whatever category the individual is in, the premiums charged are going to reflect actuarial assessment of assured profit.

Gurdon
That's an interesting question. I don't know because I'm not an actuary and I don't assess that type of risk.

I think at the presumed age of the woman, perhaps mid 20's, three boyfriends and two jobs suggests instability and/or poor judgement. I'd say the same if it was a male.

As for attracting higher risk individuals, there are insurance companies that specialize in that. I think the idea of risk vs. reward for the insurance company is paramount. A bit less in premiums with the knowledge that payouts may be far less vs. higher premiums and greater assumption of risk and potential claims. I'm sure there's some complex formula designed to assess this.

After all, insurance is the distribution of risk so if a company had too many high risk individuals, wouldn't everyone's rates eventually go up? Those with better records would seek out a lower cost alternative.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Mrs. 32 has done the same thing, and it puzzles me. I've always thought that insurance is insurance is insurance, so I always went with the cheapest policy--and if you shop around, I've found there can be some significant differences. Even if it's $25 cheaper, twenty-five bucks is twenty-five bucks.

In contrast to Liberty Mutual, General Insurance has pretty good ads, I think. They provide all the information a bad driver needs to know--low down payment with instant proof of insurance so you won't get stuck having to actually have a policy for more than two weeks, you can get a quote without revealing your name so they can't look you up in their records, at least immediately, to discover you're a bad credit risk or have other red flags. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhxQ3ZRFq9Y

I've been with the same insurance carrier for my life, home, auto, etc. for the past 47 years. When you have a winner, stick with it. LOL, Liberty Mutual is going to have to do a who lot better than those videos to get me to consider changing carriers at this point!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Not sure how your wife's insurance carrier works, but in my case , given the length of time I've been a 'loyal' customer and an excellent/very limited history of claims over that time, my carrier issues what they call "subscriber savings account distributions" that come close to equaling close to what six months of auto coverage for the family vehicles cost(s) me...and their rates are pretty competitive to begin with!

Your wife sounds like a wise woman.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts