eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
This past Saturday morning I was browsing the Yahoo news feed and came upon an article reporting that Mark Hamill had posted a twitter tweet, incorporating a 20 to 30 year old photo of the founder of Jimmy John's sandwich shop standing beside a bull elephant he had taken on an African Safari and suggesting that people should boycott (and presumably shut down) Jimmy John's. Further reading/research revealed that the photo was taken in 1986 on a legally permitted hunt so what's the big deal? Some might conclude that Mark Hamill has turned to the "dark side" of the force, but the truth is he has been subverted by the just plain old 'dumb side' of the force! I find all this politically correct zealotry we see among us these days to be absolutely infuriating and in protest of Hamill's idiocy, I initiated a counter protest against Hamill's suggested boycott and took my wife to lunch in the nearest Jimmy Johns for lunch...their Frenchie II sandwich and jalapeno chips are delicious.

I has been said that bad things happen when good men see wrongs being committed and do nothing. Well in this case, LOL, "I saw my righteous duty and I done it!" Now I ask you is Mark Hamill one of those big, bad political zealots, who needed to be put in his place, orwas I just cleverly cheating on my diet? :icon_scratch:

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Assume you want comment, or maybe you're just shaking your fist at the heavens. If the former, then this...

Have never heard of Jimmy John's or of Jimmy himself. Still alive? Then I most certainly would steer clear. If not, it seems stupid to boyott infamous legacy.

I own a Ford ranger, a fine small truck. But I would not own one if Henry Ford, a raging anti-semite were still alive.

The statute of limitations on being an a**hole only ends with death.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Railing against 'trophy hunting' is a red herring. Kenya drew international applause from the chattering classes when they shut down all hunting but as shown in Ivory Wars, it was just a cover to get foreigners' eyes out of the country while they wiped out almost all their elephants selling ivory to China. And the head of the poaching ring was the mayor of Nairobi.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
The best reason I can think of to eat subs somewhere other than JJ’s is their peppers. Seriously, you’d make me pay extra for something that ought to be on any decent sub and then use stems and cores!?!?

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Railing against 'trophy hunting' is a red herring.
Up here, a red herring cleaned and mounted is a trophy.

But you use it to mean distraction and while I'm not familar with the incident you cite, but believe you because I know you're knowledgeable in this area, I don't think it's a rationale for putting a stop to the stopping of the slaughter of big game on the basis of it being funsies. And this guy who runs the Sugar Shacks, or whatever that I've never heard of, apparently likes to blow the brains out of rhinos and assorted other four-footers out for a stroll on the Serengheti.

Incidentally, just what do you do after you've used your high tech blunderbuss to send a ton of elephant to the circus in the sky, you just hop a United back home, catch a late supper?

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
The point you seem to be missing, my friend, is the picture appears to have been taken over 30 years ago, the hunt was legally permitted, and in an age when trophy hunting was a recognized and largely accepted sport and the village idiots were a whole lot more reserved than they are today. Why take it out on the alreadiy minimally paid(?) JJ's employees for that? Take it out on bad people who break the law...not the innocents!

Reactions: WA

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
In a protein starved world, meat never goes to waste. I don't hold with hunting elephants but when someone does, the carcass goes from dead on the ground to a red stain on the sand in about six hours. The local villagers have a terrible tendency to live on corn meal a goodly portion of the year and will turn that elephant, hard to chew as it is, into dried meat which might just be all they get for the next six months. As far as N. America goes, just cutting off the antlers and leaving the rest is called 'Wastage' and it's illegal.

eagle2250

Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
When I was just a 12 year old boy I learned to hunt and I have enjoyed the hobby ever since. My policy has been, if I hunt a critter, I eat it, though I have also put meat in perhaps 50+ other peoples freezers, over the years. If it were not for the hunting community, many species of game would be far worse of than they are today!

Reactions: WA
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts