Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
^^
The point you seem to be missing, my friend, is the picture appears to have been taken over 30 years ago, the hunt was legally permitted, and in an age when trophy hunting was a recognized and largely accepted sport.
The point you think missed isn't much of a point. Time passed has little bearing on morality. Killing an elephant for fun 30 years ago is still killing an elephant for fun. I was divorced 30 years ago. Mostly my fault. Time elapsed does not make me a nice guy back then. Ask her.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
This past Saturday morning I was browsing the Yahoo news feed and came upon an article reporting that Mark Hamill had posted a twitter tweet, incorporating a 20 to 30 year old photo of the founder of Jimmy John's sandwich shop standing beside a bull elephant he had taken on an African Safari and suggesting that people should boycott (and presumably shut down) Jimmy John's. Further reading/research revealed that the photo was taken in 1986 on a legally permitted hunt so what's the big deal? Some might conclude that Mark Hamill has turned to the "dark side" of the force, but the truth is he has been subverted by the just plain old 'dumb side' of the force! I find all this politically correct zealotry we see among us these days to be absolutely infuriating and in protest of Hamill's idiocy, I initiated a counter protest against Hamill's suggested boycott and took my wife to lunch in the nearest Jimmy Johns for lunch...their Frenchie II sandwich and jalapeno chips are delicious.

I has been said that bad things happen when good men see wrongs being committed and do nothing. Well in this case, LOL, "I saw my righteous duty and I done it!" Now I ask you is Mark Hamill one of those big, bad political zealots, who needed to be put in his place, orwas I just cleverly cheating on my diet? :icon_scratch:
There exists a moral superiority which permits certain folk to believe the obliteration of a man's life and work to be wholly justified as retribution for a perceived misdemeanor.

Ask Professor Ronald S. Sullivan Jr.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Inspirational.

A maxim sourced from your forthcoming manifesto?
Play by the rules and don't rewrite the quotes. Have never used an exclamation point in my whole life. Metaphorical tape over that key.

I see now there are two ways to take the quote. You took the wrong one. Figures, but it gave you something to write about. Peak though is not advocating killing a**holes. It's that the crime of being one does not expire until the so-pronounced is a few feet under.

Understand, you are not in this category, unless you've done away with an elephant. You haven't, have you? Good. Drinks at my place, maybe darts.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
Allied with the boycott theme, this...

Up here (here is the deep, dark scary woods of glorious Northern Maine) - and probably everywhere - come election time some folks choose to give their guy a boost by putting his/her Vote For Me sign on their lawn. Okay. Very Amurican. Also very stupid. Because after the election when the signs come down, the memory of who was for whom lingers. And in rural Up Here some businesses do this. Like my heating oil company. My ex-heating oil company that is.

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
^^^

...otherwise known as learning from, but how long after seeing Teddy Roosevelt's walls does anyone suggest it take?

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
I have no problem at all with people hunting lawfully to feed themselves or others, but in 1977 I visited a person who had a rug made of a Bengal Tiger he’d shot and a waste paper basket made from an elephant foot. I was thoroughly creeped out and appalled.

Big T

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA
DuBois
Around here, in my part of rural Pennsyltucky, guys and gals hunt & fish. No one cottons to any that shoot and not use the meat. Many (not me) are not beyond picking up a freshly killed road killed whitetail.

By the way, who's Mark Hamill?

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Assume you want comment, or maybe you're just shaking your fist at the heavens. If the former, then this...

Have never heard of Jimmy John's or of Jimmy himself. Still alive? Then I most certainly would steer clear. If not, it seems stupid to boyott infamous legacy.

I own a Ford ranger, a fine small truck. But I would not own one if Henry Ford, a raging anti-semite were still alive.

The statute of limitations on being an a**hole only ends with death.
This is the problem with pissing on our ancestors as we examine them through our current moral lens. If Henry Ford were alive today he probably wouldn't be an anti-Semite. We are all creatures of our era. One hundred years from now our descendants might well consider abortion the heinous thing that it really is, or instead might think that their ancestors' use of animal flesh as food was a holocaust; and we can only hope our descendants don't make us into cartoon villains in order to placate their sense of self-righteousness. Every generation thinks its ancestors were far less woke than they are. Sometimes they are right. But only sometimes.

Last edited:
Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts