Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
In keeping with the desire for shooting ties, it seems natural that a Trad dog should be a hunting breed. Labradors are almost too easy. But since the Ive League is mostly a Northeast phenomenon wouldn't a Chessie be good? Of course, those big bruisers are concrete between the ears . . .

Personally I favor a hunting poodle, myself, but I make no claims to serious tradliness.

Tilton

Advanced Member
United States
Arlington
Virginia
Orvis catalogs tell me that it has to some sort of spaniel.

And there ain't nothing wrong with a standard poodle. Trad in my book, for sure.

MikeF

United States
AR
Magnolia
Easy answer, English Setter. They shed, drool and eat furniture and they are also the nicest dogs in the world. They can hunt all day and be the perfect family dog the rest of the time.

AshScache

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Delaware
Wimington
Setters are great dogs. Standard poodles are sweet too. Golden retrievers, I think, are the most trad.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
All good choices here. Poodles and sighthounds work for me.
Living with my English-Springer-Spaniel-fan girlfriend, my answer is evident. And Chipp2 makes a nice tie with one on it. Oh, and look at that, Finn, our English Springer Spaniel just voted for himself as the most appropriate breed to represent the hunting dog on a tie (he does not lack for confidence).

Bandit44

United States
NC
Charlotte
I guess "Southern Trad" would be a little more low brow. Make mine a Beagle.

Eric W S

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Make mine a Dutch Shepard or a Belgium Malinois. I'll slum and take a good German Shepard.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I guess "Southern Trad" would be a little more low brow. Make mine a Beagle.
+1.
It's hard to argue against Setters and Spaniels, but the Beagles I hunted with, growing up in central Pennsylvania, it seems have become a favored breed for me! They had such great spirit, were so loyal and just so darn lovable!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts