Tilton

Advanced Member
United States
Arlington
Virginia
Thanks. Our pug and retriever/shepherd mix are both shedding machines. The pug sometimes rides in my Tacoma pickup (standard cab) and you pretty much have to vacuum the seat every time, no matter how short the ride. Their usual ride is my wife's Cherokee, which is thoroughly coated--it takes a couple hours when I detail it to get rid of hair and it's back to coated again within a week. Doesn't help that it's light-colored hair on a dark interior. We're looking for a sedan for her now. That back seat protector would work, I think, for the mutt, but the pug is a different matter. It goes where it wants when it wants in a vehicle, or anywhere else, for that matter.

I have this: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9R92 and it worked decently enough for us in a 4Runner, MDX, and Suburban. When my last dog passed away, I stashed it in my parent's attic. If they haven't thrown it out yet, I'd be happy to pass it along for just the cost of shipping, as another dog is not in the cards for us for at least another 5 years when the lady finishes residency.

Jovan

Honors Member
United States
New Mexico
Albuquerque
So Trad dogs are hunting breeds, that seems to be agreed. But how many of you hunt often enough for the expense of a hunting breed, let alone professionally? Seems like a bit of a waste to pay that much for something that becomes a mere vanity pet, no?

hardline_42

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Mount Holly
So Trad dogs are hunting breeds, that seems to be agreed. But how many of you hunt often enough for the expense of a hunting breed, let alone professionally? Seems like a bit of a waste to pay that much for something that becomes a mere vanity pet, no?
I don't think you understand trad, Jovan. Trad dogs are like Barbour jackets or boat shoes. You don't have to actually use one the way it was intended for it to be legit. Mere ownership and proper accessories, however, automatically transform you into a Trad Warrior. Owning a trad car, on the other hand, makes you a complete and hopeless poser, or so I've been told. :tongue2:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
No, hunting seasons aren't long enough to justify owning a Traddog just to go hunting with. The Traddog's primary job is to get me off my butt for an hour's walk morning and evening, its secondary job is to keep me company when the wife is away. Only its third job is to find upland birds, bring back waterfowl and track any deer/pig/whatever that doesn't drop to the shot. Just like the Barbour is mostly to keep the (occasional) rain off when I need to do something outdoors. It only goes hunting once every few years.

Tilton

Advanced Member
United States
Arlington
Virginia
No, hunting seasons aren't long enough to justify owning a Traddog just to go hunting with. The Traddog's primary job is to get me off my butt for an hour's walk morning and evening, its secondary job is to keep me company when the wife is away. Only its third job is to find upland birds, bring back waterfowl and track any deer/pig/whatever that doesn't drop to the shot. Just like the Barbour is mostly to keep the (occasional) rain off when I need to do something outdoors. It only goes hunting once every few years.
This. Most of us aren't fortunate enough to have or need a $6,000 pointer. Pet first, but it is nice if she'll hunt, too.

I grew up in an area where running dogs for bears was a big thing (running dogs for deer was illegal in my part of the state) and I had a friend with an uncle who had about a dozen dogs that were nothing but hunting dogs. As with many dogs owned strictly for hunting, they were kept outside in a pen year round. That's no life for any dog of mine.

Jovan

Honors Member
United States
New Mexico
Albuquerque
I don't think you understand trad, Jovan. Trad dogs are like Barbour jackets or boat shoes. You don't have to actually use one the way it was intended for it to be legit. Mere ownership and proper accessories, however, automatically transform you into a Trad Warrior. Owning a trad car, on the other hand, makes you a complete and hopeless poser, or so I've been told. :tongue2:
Well crud. There goes that station wagon purchase. :icon_smile_big:

Fair enough. I'm just trying to introduce a bit of lively discussion.

That said, I'd at least try to find a "trad" dog at the Humane Society or something first, but that is just me.

hardline_42

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Mount Holly
That said, I'd at least try to find a "trad" dog at the Humane Society or something first, but that is just me.
There are plenty of breed-specific, regional rescue organizations as well, if your local shelter has slim pickin's (or just lots and lots of pit bulls, like mine). You can rescue an animal in need and not sacrifice any trad points.

http://www.springerrescue.org/
http://www.lab-rescue.org/adoptalab
http://www.goldheart.org/
http://www.pointerrescue.org/

Tilton

Advanced Member
United States
Arlington
Virginia
There are plenty of breed-specific rescue shelters out there, so if you want something specific but also a rescue it shouldn't be a problem.

I also want to note that the Humane Society of the United States has absolutely nothing to do with the local humane society shelters you all know and love, despite the fact that their commercials intentionally perpetuate this misconception. HSUS is a lobbying group that puts <1% of donations and earnings back into animal care. So, for anything thinking about giving up $19/month every time they hear Sarah McLaughlin on their TV, know that your money will do a lot more good in the hands of your local animal shelter.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts