The World's Lightest Suit?

• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
Cut from luxe silk and ultra-fine S150’s wool by the acclaimed E. Thomas mill in Italy, the Suit Supply's World's Lightest Suit comes in at a feathery 1.15 lbs. (525g)—compared to the average 2.27 lbs. (1030g) for traditional suits.

More details here:
https://mr-mag.com/suitsupply-unveils-the-worlds-lightest-suit/

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but the phrase "unlined and completely unconstructed" doesn't sound like it's a good thing.

For our suit experts here, thoughts?

Tod Hackett

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Well, I do need some silk pajamas...

EDIT: Wow. The fact that it is cut like a woman's tunic and has an absolutely bizarre button stance reminiscent of women's wear from the 1980s really gives one pause.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I'll take a partially lined seersucker or linen or, even, fine wool...or a poplin, from the day. Pre air-conditioning, suit manufacturers had figured out the way to do summer suits. Could they be improved with today's advancements - sure, but as improvement as evolution, not as sales gimmick. Hey, maybe I'm wrong - I haven't seen the suit in question, in person - but that's my quick take.

• Staff

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles
I certainly am no suit expert, but I have not seen this type of "pleated" shoulder before (that I can recall).

upload_2019-5-31_14-9-8.png

Front View:
upload_2019-5-31_14-13-1.png

I'm used to seeing this type of shoulder design:

upload_2019-5-31_14-13-18.png

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
They’re going for a Neapolitan style with the shoulder. Consistent with the unlined and unconstructed construction.

If done by a Neapolitan tailor, then fine. I’m not sure Suit Supply is where I want to go for this.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
I'm with SG. The material might be interesting for someone who had to be out in the sun while well dressed but the cut of the thing bothers me. I don't like the fact that the quarters expose the end of your tie. Someone my shape certainly doesn't have any business with the wasp waist! So call me a skeptic. Besides, when it gets that hot we retired gentlemen tend to retire to aloha shirts.:D

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Los Angeles