The World's Lightest Suit?

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I think Spier and Mackay is bringing out seersucker pieces shortly, too, and they're much better in quality and classic style than the J Crew offerings.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I sure hope the jackets are unlined and unconstructed.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I read that ⇧ and immediately looked at your location. My kingdom for a great tailor.

What I've found in NYC in the last several years are (1) bad inexpensive tailors, (2) bad expensive tailors, (3) some okay-to-good expensive ones and (4) some good very expensive ones - but no great ones at any price.

I used to have good inexpensive ones and great expensive ones, but they've all retired or passed away.

It's not simply a matter of being "cheap," but having to pay a lot of money for good not great tailoring changes your purchasing equation as some inexpensive garments that would work for you with a little tailoring become not worth it as the tailoring makes the all-in price silly for the quality of the garment. Also, it's frustrating to not have a true pro to work with.
I do feel fortunate. He is old school and expensive. I am also fortunate that the expense is no longer a factor for me, even for less expensive cotton garments. But all your points are very well taken.

NYC’s famous sophistication notwithstanding, high rents and overhead are probably inimical to a robust tailoring industry.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
I do feel fortunate. He is old school and expensive. I am also fortunate that the expense is no longer a factor for me, even for less expensive cotton garments. But all your points are very well taken.

NYC’s famous sophistication notwithstanding, high rents and overhead are probably inimical to a robust tailoring industry.
Exactly - it's killing it. When I first moved into the City in the late '80s, there were one-man great tailoring shops - old-school guys like yours - all over the place, but not any longer.

Tod Hackett

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It's not simply a matter of being "cheap," but having to pay a lot of money for good not great tailoring changes your purchasing equation as some inexpensive garments that would work for you with a little tailoring become not worth it as the tailoring makes the all-in price silly for the quality of the garment. Also, it's frustrating to not have a true pro to work with.
Truer words never written.

It also sadly, frustratingly consigns wonderful old friends to the "maybe someday again" section far back in the closet for really no good reason...

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Living in Atlanta I can appreciate the appeal of light and unconstructed. But previous commenters are right. The cut is appalling

Years ago I owned an unlined and unconstructed seersucker blazer in solid navy. It was one of the most versatile garments I’ve ever owned. It is hard to find solid navy seersucker jackets, and even harder to find them unlined and unconstructed.
I believe Sid Mashburn has a navy seersucker at the moment (at least in suits.)

Haven't actually had a chance to visit the store lately, and it's probably more on the "fitted" side, but it could be worth a look.

DH

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Will have to go to a local store. Appears seersucker might be slim fit only, and even classic fit jackets appear to be way too short. But definitely worth checking out.
I have seen some "Classic" fits coming in at 28 inches. I guess that's the new classic.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Thanks guys. I am familiar with SM — good stuff but generally too fitted for me. Moreover I need a 33 length jacket (32.5 minimum) so modern fit talls/longs tend not to work. I currently own two MTM seersucker navy blazers, which I get good use out of, but neither is as unconstructed as that blazer from back in the day.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
Years ago I owned an unlined and unconstructed seersucker blazer in solid navy. It was one of the most versatile garments I’ve ever owned. It is hard to find solid navy seersucker jackets, and even harder to find them unlined and unconstructed.
I do feel fortunate. [My tailor] is old school and expensive. I am also fortunate that the expense is no longer a factor for me, even for less expensive cotton garments.
Mike, could you clarify something for me, please? If your tailor is "old school," and expense isn't an issue, couldn't he make for you the type of unlined, unconstructed jacket you've long been longing for? Or does he limit his business to alterations?

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Mike, could you clarify something for me, please? If your tailor is "old school," and expense isn't an issue, couldn't he make for you the type of unlined, unconstructed jacket you've long been longing for? Or does he limit his business to alterations?
I have used him only for eBay/online and weight change related alterations (Stockton MTM is my normal merchant for new tailored wear), but he does do bespoke (not less expensive MTM), and that might well be my next step.