Thin and Athletic built guys - Do you wear 'traditional cut' OCBD shirts?

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
As David Mercer says, baggier is better. I don't like the skinned-rat look.
I guess you only consider the extremes as options.
That's exactly the problem with this topic and many others: even the "experts" like Mercer can't seem to distinguish, at least rhetorically, between the garbage-bag fit and shrink-to-fit fit, as if no middle ground exists. Both extremes are absurd. I really with people like Mercer (and Boyer, and others) would when they are running their mouths take more reasonable positions. Anyone who has spent too much time on clothing will understand what they're saying, but they are not helping rookies who don't know they're joking around.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
I always cringe when "traditionalists" insist skinny fit shirts are the devil and full cut the only correct and also trad way to go, because body types vary so extremely. I have a rel. thick neck for my waist and chest and could probably wrap myself twice in the "traditional" fit OCBDs. Sure, a 200lb guy will look ridiculous in a Milano fit, but that's simply not the body type the fit is made for.
I'm with you on this. I also have a thick neck and found that the original/traditional fit BB shirts are biased towards skinny necks which meant that once I got the right neck size the shirts were friggin' huge in the torso. I found that the Black Fleece shirts were the reverse and fit me well (my only complaint is their tails are short).

Cowtown

United States
Texas
Fort Worth
I'm with you on this. I also have a thick neck and found that the original/traditional fit BB shirts are biased towards skinny necks which meant that once I got the right neck size the shirts were friggin' huge in the torso. I found that the Black Fleece shirts were the reverse and fit me well (my only complaint is their tails are short).
I have same problem as well. I have used Ratio to get a fit that works for me but still don’t think they are quite as good as Mercer. In my latest Mercer order, I went with a 17.5 neck/16.5 body with 4 inches taken in off in the waist. The result is a bit bigger than the Ratio but very comfortable fitting shirt.

Last edited:

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
There's nothing wrong with the fit of that shirt other than it doesn't match your pre-conceived notion of how it should fit. Take a look at old photos from Take Ivy and online sources and you'll see that back in the Ivy heyday they wore OCBD shirts loose-fitting.
I know. I'm not a fan of it at all.

HOOT

United States
-
-
Take a look at old photos from Take Ivy and online sources and you'll see that back in the Ivy heyday they wore OCBD shirts loose-fitting.
I don't remember seeing any photos in Take Ivy with that full of a fit to be honest.

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
California
Santa Monica
Mercer isn't joking around. The slogan is trademarked, and he calls his distinctive full cut a matter of taste.

Last edited:

orange fury

Connoisseur
United States
Texas
Houston
Mercer isn't joking around. The slogan is trademarked, and he calls his distinctive full cut a matter of taste.
I know he won’t because it’s their trademark, but I wish Mercer would offer a slimmer fit (maybe as MTM), because I love their collars and like supporting small businesses. That said, with how many Brooks ocbds I own, I have zero need for another one

Oldsport

United States
New Jersey
Swedesboro
You all keep referring to 'Mercer' and I think you are talking about me :)

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Nope. The cut should match your frame. If you've got some weight on you, a classic cut will flatter you more. If you're slim or athletic in shape, a slimmer cut looks the same on you as a classic cut looks on a larger gentleman. (note: I do NOT mean a skinny cut that wears like spandex).

150lb guys wearing shirts made for 200lb guys just don't look right. Looks like you're wearing a hand me down from your older brother.

Spier and Mackay OCBDs in slim fit me nicely. They fit me about the same as the lands end OCBDs I used to wear before I lost the weight. I never understand advocating any specific cut (classic, slim, etc) as a general rule - that leads to beer bellies straining against slim cuts and skinny dudes swimming in their shirts.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
View attachment 25012
McQueen had an athletic build & appeared to have no problem with a traditional shirt.

I have both fits. When i wear milano fit its untucked without a tie. Shirts that will be tucked in and worn under a jacket can look like a parachute for all I care as long as the sleeve lengths and neck fit well. But the more comfortable I become with the "Trad" style (Im relatively new to it) the more I dislike the milano shirts.
Blasphemy perhaps but I don't think he looks good in that shirt at all. Too baggy about the waist and WAY too baggy about the arms.