Thoughts on Shell #8 Color for wearability?

At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
Greetings,

I have been contemplating purchasing another pair of cordovan tassels and am torn between #8 and black.

The question I am pondering is whether #8 (burgundy) is really a universal color or is it somewhat outdated?

I am a lawyer and wear tassel loafers with suits quite frequently. Many of my suits are shades of gray, glen plaid, and a couple of blue hues.

I find myself reaching for my black tassels more frequently than my old Brooks #8's.

Is this in my mind, or is #8 actually an outdated color of shoe these days as compared to black and shades of brown?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tom

Corcovado

United States
KY
Lexington
#8 is not outdated at all IMO. That said, if you personally prefer black and will get more use out of black, then that seems to be the better choice for you.

Color 8

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Personally, I feel that black is dated and much less versatile.
I wear"Color 8" (obviously ;)) or brown all the time, but only rarely wear black. Black has it's place, but it has fallen out of my normal rotation.

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
Greetings,

I have been contemplating purchasing another pair of cordovan tassels and am torn between #8 and black.

The question I am pondering is whether #8 (burgundy) is really a universal color or is it somewhat outdated?

I am a lawyer and wear tassel loafers with suits quite frequently. Many of my suits are shades of gray, glen plaid, and a couple of blue hues.

I find myself reaching for my black tassels more frequently than my old Brooks #8's.

Is this in my mind, or is #8 actually an outdated color of shoe these days as compared to black and shades of brown?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tom
#8 is timeless and perfect for your wardrobe.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
#8 shell/burgundy/Merlot/etc. are all very versatile and should see a good deal of wear time in a gentleman's wardrobe. They are not, nwill they ever be outdated! ;)

James Winston

Starting Member
United States
Massachusetts
South Hamilton
In my view, you can get by with only #8 leather shoes unless you are wearing a tuxedo. For me, that means my only leather shoes are #8 BB Blucher Oxfords (rarely wear), #8 BB Alden tassels, imitation #8 beater AE Waldens/Weejuns, and #8 Quoddy Canoe Shoes (rarely wear).

In my view, #8 is better than black (perhaps a shade less formal) because you can wear it with suits, sport coats, and khakis; and better than brown because you can wear it with more formal suits and white shirts.

With this being said, I think burgundy calf ages significantly worse than brown calf, so it is best to stick with #8 shell if you are able.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Perhaps so, but as the years pass, the #8 hue will lighten up (sometimes quite) a bit...sometimes to the point that flaws in the shell become visible...perhaps not a better look, but certainly more matured! ;)