Thoughts on Shell #8 Color for wearability?

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by At Law, Apr 26, 2019.

1. At Law

At Law Senior Member

United States
    Nebraska
    Omaha
    Greetings,

I have been contemplating purchasing another pair of cordovan tassels and am torn between #8 and black.

The question I am pondering is whether #8 (burgundy) is really a universal color or is it somewhat outdated?

I am a lawyer and wear tassel loafers with suits quite frequently. Many of my suits are shades of gray, glen plaid, and a couple of blue hues.

I find myself reaching for my black tassels more frequently than my old Brooks #8's.

Is this in my mind, or is #8 actually an outdated color of shoe these days as compared to black and shades of brown?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tom

2. Corcovado

Corcovado Senior Member

United States
    KY
    Lexington
    #8 is not outdated at all IMO. That said, if you personally prefer black and will get more use out of black, then that seems to be the better choice for you.

3. Color 8

Color 8 Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    PA - Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia
    Personally, I feel that black is dated and much less versatile.
    I wear"Color 8" (obviously ;)) or brown all the time, but only rarely wear black. Black has it's place, but it has fallen out of my normal rotation.

TKI67 likes this.
  4. August West

August West Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NJ
    Northern
    Outdated? This is the trad forum where it's always 1957!;)

5. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    #8 is timeless and perfect for your wardrobe.

Color 8 likes this.
  6. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    #8 shell/burgundy/Merlot/etc. are all very versatile and should see a good deal of wear time in a gentleman's wardrobe. They are not, nwill they ever be outdated! ;)

Corcovado and Color 8 like this.
  7. James Winston

James Winston Starting Member

United States
    Massachusetts
    South Hamilton
    In my view, you can get by with only #8 leather shoes unless you are wearing a tuxedo. For me, that means my only leather shoes are #8 BB Blucher Oxfords (rarely wear), #8 BB Alden tassels, imitation #8 beater AE Waldens/Weejuns, and #8 Quoddy Canoe Shoes (rarely wear).

In my view, #8 is better than black (perhaps a shade less formal) because you can wear it with suits, sport coats, and khakis; and better than brown because you can wear it with more formal suits and white shirts.

With this being said, I think burgundy calf ages significantly worse than brown calf, so it is best to stick with #8 shell if you are able.

TKI67 and Corcovado like this.
  8. frankmartin

frankmartin New Member

United States
    Georgia
    Suwanee
    Alden Color 8 is so dark these days it might as well be black.

9. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    Perhaps so, but as the years pass, the #8 hue will lighten up (sometimes quite) a bit...sometimes to the point that flaws in the shell become visible...perhaps not a better look, but certainly more matured! ;)

10. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    I’m not sure where this observation comes from. We all perceive light and color differently but this seems a bit extreme.