challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Virginia
Alexandria
#8 shell/burgundy/Merlot/etc. are all very versatile and should see a good deal of wear time in a gentleman's wardrobe. They are not, nwill they ever be outdated! ;)
Depends on which 8 you get. The near black, deep burgundy, tend to do well. The purplish version I found challenging to work with. My collection has morphed to mostly black shell and suede. Some whisky and brown, but few. No #8.

frankmartin

United States
Georgia
Suwanee

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
I sometimes put my 2160’s (No. 8) on thinking they are my 2161’s (black), but usually realize it before I hit the door.

The No. 8 is more versatile perhaps but I like the black just as well.

There was a time when the only nonblack leather shoes I had were penny loafers and boat shoes, and and I got along fine.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
I sometimes put my 2160’s (No. 8) on thinking they are my 2161’s (black), but usually realize it before I hit the door.

The No. 8 is more versatile perhaps but I like the black just as well.
Ah, the controversial cap toe blucher. And not just one pair, but two!

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Take a look at the pictures in that auction. What color do you think the shoes are?
Did it occur to you that the seller might just have made an error? It happens on eBay.

Also, online pics are a poor representation of the true nature of the color.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
Ah, the controversial cap toe blucher. And not just one pair, but two!
I think technically they are Derby’s (Derbies?) even though Alden calls them Bluchers and you’d think they would know.

Don’t know if I have ever seen any actual cap toe Bluchers.

I take it you don’t think highly of them.

Oh well.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I think technically they are Derby’s (Derbies?) even though Alden calls them Bluchers and you’d think they would know.

Don’t know if I have ever seen any actual cap toe Bluchers.

I take it you don’t think highly of them.

Oh well.
Derbies (UK) = Bluchers (US)
Oxfords (UK) = Balmorals (US)

Cap toe bluchers definitely exist, but they are a bit controversial in some foolishly dogmatic quarters. The thinking is that since bals, all other things equal, are pretty much universally understood to be more formal than bluchers, they should be the shoe of choice for cap toes, which are regarded as the dress shoe highest on the scale of formality aside from actual formal wear (patent leather, opera pumps, etc.). Some dogmatists (not FLMike) argue, therefore, that if one wants a cap toe dress shoe it would be incongruous to select a blucher rather than a bal. The chief rebuttal is that some gents simply are more comfortable wearing bluchers due to the architecture of their feet. In any case knowledgeable men know that there is nothing wrong with cap toe bluchers, even if (all other things equal) they are just a bit less formal in appearance than cap toe bals. Finally, it is important to note that many characteristics of a shoe contribute to its formality or informality, for instance the shape of the last. And in this regard some bluchers have far more elegant lasts than some bals, and will appear more formal as a consequence.

Last edited:

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
There are people who profess to be experts who maintain there is a difference between the Blucher (forgive the capital but the word makes me think of the anti-Napoleon general, not the shoe; I also “mispronounce” it because I cannot bring myself to pronounce it improperly) and the derby (is it pronounced ”darby”? I will consult Google for support on this score.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts