TimF

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York City
For me, derby has seams that run from the lacing to the sole on each side. Blucher does not. Small difference, but I guess lack of that seam makes bluchers a cleaner shoe, hence slightly more formal. In this day and age, just go with whatever fits you best and your preferred look.

New Old Stock

United States
New York
New York
If you asked anyone outside of this forum they'd just call everything "dress shoes" - at least here in the States.

My understanding (and the link provided above seems to agree) is that all Bluchers are Derbys, but not all Derbys are Bluchers. The AE Leeds being a good example of a Blucher. Though the AE website titles them Derbys, they label them Bluchers in the description.

The link left out the distinction between Oxfords & Balmorals, though. As I understand it all Balmorals are Oxfords, but not all Oxfords are Balmorals.
Balmorals have a galosh vamp that meets at the heel, never covering the quarters or facing completely. Its similar to an Adelaide Oxford (or 'Gary' Oxford according to C&J), but in that case the vamp creates a U-shape around the closed lacing, covering the quarters completely.

Balmoral:
Balmoral.jpg

Adelaide:
Adelaide.jpg

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Ok so .....

With respect to open-laced shoes, the term derby predominates in the UK whereas Americans generally use the term blucher; and at least in the U.S. both terms are often used interchangeably to describe shoes with open lace systems. Technically, however, the derby has 2 quarters that are sewn together and a vamp with a tongue, whereas the blucher has small pieces of leather sewn onto the vamp creating the lacing system.

The Adelaide above is a wholecut, which most gents would consider a type of balmoral given the closed lacing, but technically the wholecut is also considered its own closed-lace style distinct from the balmoral. So based on what I'm now reading:

Open-laced shoes can be derbies or bluchers.
Closed-laced shoes can be bals or wholecuts.

No doubt there is more to this, but I'm already learning a lot I didn't know thanks to Richard and NOS.

Last edited:

New Old Stock

United States
New York
New York
The Adelaide above is a wholecut, which most gents would consider a type of balmoral given the closed lacing, but technically the wholecut is also considered its own closed-lace style distinct from the balmoral.
The Adelaide above isn't a Wholecut, its laces are a separate piece. All of them are Oxfords, including the Balmoral.

Genus: Oxford.
Species: Adelaide, Balmoral, Wholecut...
*this is how I understand it, I'd wait for a more experienced member to confirm this before committing it to memory.

This guide was informative:
https://www.crockettandjones.com/style-guide/

So based on what I'm now reading:
Closed-laced shoes can be derbies or bluchers.
Open-laced shoes can be bals or wholecuts.
Other way around.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts