Thrifted Orange Chipp Slacks--please help

GentlemanGeorge

I admit I wasn't really familiar with Chipp before I picked these up thrifting today, but they looked great so I got them. Can anyone tell me tell me anything helpful about these pants? I was going to put them up on eBay because they are about a size or two too big for me both ways. Are they still in business, and, if not, when did they go out? Is it possible to tell from the tag, the zipper, belt loops, or other features to determine when they were made? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Cardinals5

Honors Member
United States
SC
Greenville
Chipp is very well thought of on the trad forum, but probably little known outside these circles anymore. I don't think anyone is going to be able to determine their date of creation from the tags, but if you do a search you should be able to figure out when Chipp closed its doors.

The original owner's son, Paul Winston, is currently carrying on the Chipp tradition through his shop - Winston Tailors in New York City - and has an on-line presence known as Chipp2 (with a wonderful blog about the old Chipp days), which specializes in canine-related accessories.

As for what to do with those great Go-To-Hell (GTH) trousers - you'd probably do best putting them on the Trad Forum Thrift Exchange thread or advertising them on eBay as somehow related to Clemson since there are probably fraternity guys at Clemson who wear orange trousers to the football games.

GentlemanGeorge

Thanks

Thanks for your help and for the "colorful" term. Is there any restriction on posting to the thrift exchange here? I am a relative newbie. And what might they be worth to someone? There are a couple barely distinguishable marks on them, but no holes or snags.

Cardinals5

Honors Member
United States
SC
Greenville
Nope, no restrictions on the thrift exchange thread - we're a bunch of swell fellows ;) You can decide the price and wait to see if you get any interest. If no interest ensues, which may happen with such unique trousers, then send them to eBay. If they go to eBay, you should use a fixed price auction since they'll go for a lower price with a regular auction, but the one person who really wants both Chipp trousers and orange trousers will pay more, but probably won't search for such things very often. For all that sage advice, you should just send me the trousers for free :devil:

C. Sharp

United States
NY
Johnson City
Cardinal5 hit all the high points I think. The only questions now are what size?
Are they wool? Are those straight legs or flared can not tell from the photos.

Last edited:

GentlemanGeorge

Off they go...

Thanks again! They are truly something of the last of their kind, and I'd imagine that would be worth something to someone. But then, I could just save myself the trouble and mail them straight out to you at my expense to be rid of them, right?

GentlemanGeorge

Yep.

Yes, they are wool, and they are straight, not flared.

I'd say they are about 33/34 waist and about 33/34 leg, but I'm just guessing from my measurements. I usually wear 31-32 waist and 30 leg.

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
United States
Heart of the Bluegrass
Lexington
You're going to get people from places like Clemson or UT interested in them, so best to just take them back...