Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Well - I made all of Tom's clothes for Bridge of Spies so, firstly, I'll take your comment about properly fitted suits as a compliment. Secondly, he constantly mentioned how comfortable they were to wear, so much so that he came by after shooting had finished and ordered some personal clothes. I made these more shaped and up-to-date, but he had the higher rise and loved them
That's absolutely wonderful to hear! Glad to know that some celebrities still dress the best that they can.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
I saw the movie over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It was cool to know that one of our members made the main character's clothes!

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I don't think we should be influenced by the fact that Tom Hanks wears a baseball cap throughout the interview. He evidently is not trying to make a fashion statement. The matter is addressed, albeit nebulously, at the very beginning of the interview. Right off the bat (pun intended), Kelly Ripa mentions the cap, and Hanks breezily replies that his head "is a work in progress" and that he "is under a non-disclosure agreement." Whatever that means. Maybe his hair is cut and colored in an unusual way in connection with a film that is currently in production, and he's not allowed to spill any beans yet. (The small amount of hair visible at the back of Hanks' head, right above his neck, appears to have been dyed white.)

In any case, there's something going on under the baseball cap that Hanks really needs to, or wants to, cover up for awhile, so it's not as if he's wearing it because he just doesn't know any better.
Keep this quiet please but I have it on good authority that Hanks has signed on for the long awaited Carrot Top biopic.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
LOL. You may have a point about the positive effect of wearing the braces, but I'm not ready to concede the conclusion regarding TRIM as the sole causative factor for the noted drop to the hips. My trousers went through a similar "limbo" routine back when I sported a 44" chest measure and a 30/31" waist and today with a 46" chest and a 37/38" waist, it still doesn't seem too bad. Alas, I only wear braces with formalwear. :(
44 chest and a 30 waist? Funny question - how the heck did you buy suits? Limited to separates I assume?

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Unless you have male genitalia, then everything is wrong with them. Before I started wearing properly cut trousers my wife would always tell me that my business was very clearly visible.

one thing I wish is that we could get away from is calling this an "older cut" I prefer to think of it much more a proper cut.

Eagle, I too suffer from pants falling from my natural waist to my hips. I've always thought it was "TRIM" but even when wearing suspenders it still happens, more particularly when going from seated to standing though, not so much when walking.
Most modern slacks, and even jeans, are a mid rise. There are some with a very short rise (jeans seem to be the biggest offender with this), that look horrible, as you point out.

However, a mid rise (which is still modern, and not a more classic style), looks better on slim/fit men. A longer rise looks better on men with a little extra padding in the mid section. In my humble opinion.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
Mid-rise equals no man’s land that cannot be pulled up high enough and inevitably go down, resulting in ubiquitous saggy crotch.

Unfortunately, many men are not as slim/fit as they seem to believe

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Well, truth be known,
we realize the extent of our growth in girth, we just don't want to admit it! LOL. ;)

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Mid-rise equals no man’s land that cannot be pulled up high enough and inevitably go down, resulting in ubiquitous saggy crotch.

Unfortunately, many men are not as slim/fit as they seem to believe
Ok, at the risk of exposing a house that needs some cleaning (and some removal of markers from children), this is how I am dressed today, not doing much other than running some errands. I'm in jeans that are a mid rise, do not fall down, and do not show my junk. I cannot see that I need a higher rise than this.

For reference, I am 170 on the dot, 5'10, 40 years old. Chest is around 40in, waist is around 32in.

Attachments

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
Okay a newb question. How do we define mid-rise vs high-rise? Is it in relation to the navel/natural waist? Or are we talking specific rise measurements (outseam less inseam)?

A 10.5” rise hits right at my navel. I like 10.5”-11” rises. I have two 12” rise flannels that I wear with sweaters as they seem a little high uncovered.

So is something at the navel mid or high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts