Searching_Best_Fit

Canada
Ontario
Mississauga
Okay a newb question. How do we define mid-rise vs high-rise?
So is something at the navel mid or high?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Asked and Answered. The mid or high rises is how a pair of trousers when worn correctly, sits with respected to one's body. Mid to one's navel, or middle point between rib cage and hip bone. High to just below the rib cage. In your case, the front rise with 10.5" to 11" is a good mid rise, whereas the 12" will be high rise to you.

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
Asked and Answered. The mid or high rises is how a pair of trousers when worn correctly, sits with respected to one's body. Mid to one's navel, or middle point between rib cage and hip bone. High to just below the rib cage. In your case, the front rise with 10.5" to 11" is a good mid rise, whereas the 12" will be high rise to you.
Maybe I’ve misunderstood but I thought the appropriate place for trousers to sit are at the natural waist, which is 1/2” or so above the navel. That would be a mid-rise, no?

Is the argument by some in this thread for high-rise trousers is that the natural waist only works if you are trim and the pants can stay up naturally? If you are TRIM, then high-rise is better as you can get the waist above the belly and keep the pants up “naturally”? I’m TRIM and don’t see the issue with mid-rise, whether with belts or braces.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
Maybe I’ve misunderstood but I thought the appropriate place for trousers to sit are at the natural waist, which is 1/2” or so above the navel. That would be a mid-rise, no?
I don't blame you for being confused. The terms "low rise," "mid rise," "high rise," and "natural waist" are too vague for my blood. The only "rise" that matters is the rise that I like best on me. So I use the try-on-and-look-in-the-mirror method.

What if I'm purchasing trousers online? I call or e-mail the store and ask someone to tell me what the front rise is in inches. "Mid-rise" and "natural waist" tell me nothing; "11 and 1/2 inches" (for example) tells me what I need to know. (Some websites have a size chart that gives the length of the rise in inches.)

Is the argument by some in this thread for high-rise trousers is that the natural waist only works if you are trim and the pants can stay up naturally?
I don't know. Just wear what you like.

Searching_Best_Fit

Canada
Ontario
Mississauga
This really depends on the trend of how high the waistband goes at that era and how one defines the term "natural waist" in their minds, or the industry defined term. As Charles mentioned above, I would rather specify where the waistband sit w.r.t. one's body (just below rib cage, mid between bones, on top of hip bones or below it) rather than vaguely defined "natural waist".

Form 1950/60 until now, the industry defined term of natural waist is the point just below the rib cage, while the trouser waist should sit on top of the hip bone. As this is illustrated in various tailoring books.

If the waistband of the trousers sit above one's navel, that should be classified as high waist (or high rise if you will).

Is the argument by some in this thread for high-rise trousers is that the natural waist only works if you are trim and the pants can stay up naturally? If you are TRIM, then high-rise is better as you can get the waist above the belly and keep the pants up “naturally”? I’m TRIM and don’t see the issue with mid-rise, whether with belts or braces.
@Charles Dana just explained what I was going to said, and said what i was going to suggest to you what to do when buying trousers online. There is no need to repeat what was said.

One thing I can add is: whether you are TRIM or not, having the trousers waist sit between your rib cage and hip bone when looking from the front looks good on you. Let me show this picture:

jap_navy_band.png

4 men who are relatively at the same height with different builds. then first and third men from the left have waistband above hips, while the other two let their waistbands sit below their love handles. So the idea is that one should have their trousers waist sit between the bones, if the men with love handles have their trouser waistband sit like their colleagues, it could camouflage their guts pretend to be TRIM. What they wear the trousers just emphasize their love handles.

never behind

United States
IN
Zionsville
I think I’m following everything here. I agree on the pic - I’ve found 9”-9.5” rises don’t look so hot when one has a little too much around the waist! I do call or email and ask for rise measurements when ordering online now after getting a pair of low rise once.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
I don’t think any definition of mid rise would include pants sitting ABOVE the naval. I’d definitely call that high (or long) rise.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
This really depends on the trend of how high the waistband goes at that era and how one defines the term "natural waist" in their minds, or the industry defined term. As Charles mentioned above, I would rather specify where the waistband sit w.r.t. one's body (just below rib cage, mid between bones, on top of hip bones or below it) rather than vaguely defined "natural waist".

Form 1950/60 until now, the industry defined term of natural waist is the point just below the rib cage, while the trouser waist should sit on top of the hip bone. As this is illustrated in various tailoring books.

If the waistband of the trousers sit above one's navel, that should be classified as high waist (or high rise if you will).

@Charles Dana just explained what I was going to said, and said what i was going to suggest to you what to do when buying trousers online. There is no need to repeat what was said.

One thing I can add is: whether you are TRIM or not, having the trousers waist sit between your rib cage and hip bone when looking from the front looks good on you. Let me show this picture:

View attachment 31217

4 men who are relatively at the same height with different builds. then first and third men from the left have waistband above hips, while the other two let their waistbands sit below their love handles. So the idea is that one should have their trousers waist sit between the bones, if the men with love handles have their trouser waistband sit like their colleagues, it could camouflage their guts pretend to be TRIM. What they wear the trousers just emphasize their love handles.
The two thinner men appear to be taller than the two heftier men. Makes it hard to judge.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Relatively taller, but not more than 3" or 6" taller.

However, look at their waists and compare how they wear their pants and you can see what I meant.
The thinner men would look fine wearing their pants where the heavier men are. The heavier men would look better wearing their pants where the thinner men are - I cannot disagree with this point. Although those uniforms do them no favors and there's no hiding the rounded middle in those.

Searching_Best_Fit

Canada
Ontario
Mississauga
The thinner men would look fine wearing their pants where the heavier men are. The heavier men would look better wearing their pants where the thinner men are - I cannot disagree with this point. Although those uniforms do them no favors and there's no hiding the rounded middle in those.
Respectfully disagree on the bold text. If the thinner men wear the pants on the hip and below their navels, like some thin people who actually do that, it would look bad whether they are thin or not.

Wearing one pants at the correct position is very important, thin or not. For a thin men, if they wear the pants incorrectly, it still looks bad, but they do not have the belly to show. For men with a belly, it is more important to wear your pants at your waist, not below it, to not showing your belly too much. True, it could still show some of your belly, but at least not to exaggerate it by wearing the pants below the belly.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts