Trad in the movies.

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by Flanderian, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Of course, we need only go back to the genuine article from the '50's, '40's or '30's (Anyone remember #1 son?), but among the contemporary crop, what stands out? Spare me Metropolitan, claustrophobic and dull with colorless characters.

My money's on The Good Shepherd. A pretty good film with, with very good clothes. True to life. Quality clothes worn by quality people. A treat for the eye.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. EastVillageTrad

EastVillageTrad Super Member

United States
    New York
    New York
    We've had discussions on this before, check the search function.

Opinions vary, I am kinda up in the air...

3. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior Member

United States
    Pennsylvania
    Pittsburgh
    Morgan Freeman's character makes a pretty good trad appearance in "The Dark Knight".

4. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders

Thank you, yes there was one on January 5th, I've found it.

5. Sartre

Sartre Senior Member

United States
    PA
    Phila
    Just saw a re-run of The Accidental Tourist, pretty good trad garb in that movie.

tjs

P.S. On Metropolitan: how dare you! Claustrophobic, yes, but hardly colorless characters.

6. Zot!

Zot! Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Not exactly conteporary, but after the 60's, would be Body Heat from '81. A lot of searsucker and other southern/summer trad staples. Kathleen Turner in her white dress, while not exactly trad, is also nice to look at. :devil:

7. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Honors Member

Hong Kong
    Kowloon
    Clearwater Bay
    Though I loved Barcelona , I can't say I liked Metropolitan that much. I basically agree with Flanderian. Claustrophobic was kind of the point, but the lead actor and the (very cute) actress who played Audrey Roget were stiff. Especially, after Eigemann leaves the scene, colorless is pretty on the nose. Probably, if I had seen it when I was younger, it might have meant more to me and surely its better than St. Elmo's Fire or other John Hughes kind of stuff.

8. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Honors Member

Hong Kong
    Kowloon
    Clearwater Bay
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. RyanPatrick

RyanPatrick Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Great minds. I was just going to post this one. One of my favorite movies, watched it last night.

10. Flashy

Flashy Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    VA
    Northern
    "The Good Shepard" was a bit disappointing all around. Far better was TNT's production of Robert Littel's novel, "The Company". Great costumes, geat acting byt Alfred Molina and Michael Keaton as Jim Angelton. And Chis O'Donnell is just all around move convincing as the all-American, boy scout type, than Matt Damon.