Winhes2

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
MB
winnipeg
Two Haight Ashbury knit ties with 2 3/8" widths moved to my closet this afternoon. In my closet, the colors go only with a hopsack jacket with a 3 5/8" lapel, a seersucker suit with a 3 3/8" lapel, and a navy linen/rayon jacket and vest on which the jacket has a 3 7/8" lapel. The linen/rayon jacket and vest have some texture.

Would you wear the ties with the jackets because the colors are acceptable and the jackets have some texture to go with that of the ties even though the jacket lapels are much wider (by 1" (42%) - 1 1/2" (63%)) than those of the ties?

On the seersucker the tie will be 70% of the lapel.

On the hopsack the tie will be 66% of the lapel.

On the linen/rayon the tie will be 61% of the lapel.

Last edited:

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
Great question. I've read that knit ties have no taper, so it may not be an issue, though I've no experience myself.

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
Right. They are shaped like this and have the traditional flat bottoms:

purple and mint ties on purple shirt

purple and mint knit ties on my only jacket with narrow (2 1/2") lapels

I'm not saying they go well with the items in the pictures in three of the four cases. I bought the purple one to wear with the above purple shirt and a purple sweater that goes with the shirt. The mint one was just there and can go with the hopsack and seersucker jackets.

Also, each tie was less than $5 Canadian at a going out of business sale.

Hey! I prefer the other appellations: frugal or parsimonious.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I don't worry about trying to match tie and lapel widths. While it might be ideal, it's hardly ever essential. If it looks good, wear it. If you can't tell, look at enough stuff until you can. You likely know more than you think you do.

And knit ties in particular tend to be most forgiving of a disparity between tie width, and lapel, given it's not too extreme.

Faux Brummell

United States
New York
Brooklyn
I was wondering the same thing recently after acquiring my first knit tie. I unearthed this:

Cormac suggests as a very general guideline, the width of the tie should approximate the width of the lapel. But the real thing to consider is the material. With printed cloth, the tie should be wider - otherwise the amount of material looks a little mean. With a knitted tie, however, a skinnier width works better. And anything narrower than 6cm is straying into fad territory.

Winhes2

Canada
MB
winnipeg
Thanks.

Anyone care to speculate on which meaning of "mean" he meant? Robert Johnson or Cormac, it is unclear whose word that is, that is.

Merriam-Webster's meanings of mean

I'll guess one of: of inferior quality or status; worthy of little regard; or stingy. Since he is referring to the amount of material, rather than its quality, I'll put my money on stingy.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Thanks.

Anyone care to speculate on which meaning of "mean" he meant? Robert Johnson or Cormac, it is unclear whose word that is, that is.

Merriam-Webster's meanings of mean

I'll guess one of: of inferior quality or status; worthy of little regard; or stingy. Since he is referring to the amount of material, rather than its quality, I'll put my money on stingy.

What's a Cormac?

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts