Nimzowitsch

Starting Member
Sweden
Sweden
Stockholm
Hi fellow tradsters,

A few days ago I posted on the forum asking where european tradsters got their threads: https://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/where-do-you-buy-your-trad-threads-if-you-live-in-europe.242375/

A fellow community member suggested that I instead travel to the states and consider the plane ticket part of the expense of buying new clothes. Seeing how I got really frustrated being unable to find any Ivy style clothes in Vienna or its surroundings, I decided to book me a ticket to Washington DC for March 6th. I will be staying with my brother for 2 weeks, which should give me enough time to catch up with him, but to also check out a few shops and revamp my wardrobe.

My question to you is which american trad / ivy shops, other than J. Press and Brooks Brothers, in the DC area would you recommend? Even though I have never done it, I don't mind checking out thrift shops either.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to your suggestions!

challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Virginia
Alexandria
There isn’t that much here. But do check Wm Fox. Consider a train ticket to Philadelphia (Boyd’s) or NYC.

New Old Stock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York
Sterling & Burke, Georgetown. Allen Edmonds (probably multiple locations). And find yourself an Alden dealer since Brooks isn't restocking theirs anytime soon.

I would also recommend ordering from places like O'Connell's & Ben Silver (or even eBay) closer to your departure date (*note their return policy/dates). Send them to your brothers place & return what you dont want before leaving. ~$15 shipping/return is cheaper than making the trip to Buffalo/Charleston. If you're unsure your sizing, order multiples. This will leave you more time to see family & a beautiful city like DC instead of wasting it shopping...if you're lucky the cherry blossoms will be out before you leave.

Himself

United States
South Carolina
Myrtle Beach
If you like Alden shoes, it's worth stopping in the Alden store on F St.

Georgetown has become like a colonial-themed outdoor mall for clothes shopping. All the big brands are there, more than any mall that I know of. The Ralph Lauren store is a good one. The Brooks Brothers is a weak -- go to the one downtown. Most tourists want to check out Georgetown anyway, so do that and check out the clothes, but I agree with New Old Stock about wasting time shopping in DC -- when there's so much else to see and do.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I travel to DC several times a year, and like those above state, it is not a Mecca for men’s wear. J. Press, I usually visit for the aesthetic of the shop, but can’t bring myself to pay their prices, and the big BBs is the same as big BBs elsewhere. I sometimes check out Nordstrom’s basement, but have never purchased from them.
My favorite space in the city is the Peacock Room at the Freer Gallery. It is worth a visit because you are allowed to sit in this amazing space for as long as you like.

cheers,

BSR