Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Hi All- I’m normally a wearer of J&M $200ish shoes and am wanting to get into something nicer. I ran across some Tricker’s of England models and they look very nice.

https://www.trickers.com/row/mens/keswick-c-shade-heavy-brogue-shoe.html

https://www.trickers.com/row/mens/morgan-7153.html

Just writing to see if anyone has experience with the brand. Thanks!
I have about a dozen pair of English shoes, but none by Trickers. However, a lot has been written about them by people who do, so I know a little by reputation. They're a high quality maker of very fine shoes best known for their country shoes. Some have said their country shoes are among the best of their kind, but that their dressier styles do not compare as favorably to other makes due less refined styling, though they are equally well made. Certainly for dressier styles there are other English makes better thought of with price tags to match. And the thought has been expressed that Tricker's may not represent the best value compared to some others. And be aware that many of their lasts are roomier and more robust, often with an broader heel. So if that's what you wish, you're in luck.

The Keswick in C shade is arguably one of the most iconic English country shoes. An all-terrain vehicle for your feet! ;) Beefy and robust with an English Commando sole. This sole is quite different from American or Italian versions, being particularly thick with lugs nearly 1/4" deep. And while I don't have any Trickers, I do have a pair of Alfred Sargent shoes with this sole. It's wonderful for it's purpose with great traction in mud, snow of just grass, but I find it less comfortable on wood or tile floors, and consider its rightful place to be outdoors.

If you know what you're buying and have expectations in line with what this footwear is, it is certainly a fine choice. It's worlds superior to anything you'll find from J&M. But you should be aware that some consider other English makers to offer better value than Trickers who have long commanded a premium due to their reputation and Royal Warrant.

Herring is a English retailer (And AAAC advertiser) with which I've done business. I've been very pleased, as have many other AAAC members, with their service, selection and value. Not trying to talk you out of Trickers, but you might wish to browse their website to look at similar shoes so you can get a better idea of the choices available and their comparative values.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

Last edited:

peterc

United States
california
san francisco
I have one pair of Trickers. They are incredibly comfortable, with a built in arch support.

TheDlABlO

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I just bought my first pair of trickers! I have experience with the following english brands -
  • Crockett and Jones
  • Cheaney
  • Loake - 1880 only
  • Trickers, now/sort of
Here is my take. Quality wise, trickers is considered on par with Crockett and Jones. They have good QC, use good materials on their calfskin shoes and make excellent shoes. They do seem to make lower end items in thier line up however. Trickers specializes in country shoes and boots. If that's your style you may have found your brand. However, I mostly prefer sleek, elegant shoes.

The trickers you linked, especially the Morgan is awful. The Morgan is on corrected grain, bookbinder leather and will leave you with a bad taste for trickers. Make sure you get open pore full grain calf shoes/boots.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I don't own a pair of Trickers but certainly the country boots are great examples of shoes. I don't care for the morgan - I just don't like a double monk with a wingtip country look. Stylistically, it's as if to say we only make country shoes - but hey lets make a double monk country shoe since someone might want a double monk. I greatly prefer this:

Or this:

melville74

United States
IN
Lafayette
I don’t wear suits enough to warrant dressy shoes. But the country shoe style would work w my work attire. Better start saving. :)

g3org3y

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
UK
SE
London
As has been mentioned, Tricker's are well known for their country shoes with thicker (often commando) soles. Excellent for walking to the pub, dog in tow. Not quite so ideal for office attire.

They also do Town Shoes which are worth a look. I have a pair and would rate their quality comparable to Joseph Cheaney. Leather takes a bit longer to break in.

20181006_133244.jpg

20181006_133206.jpg

I'm not a fan of the models linked in the OP tbh. The double monks in particular just don't work for me.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
As has been mentioned, Tricker's are well known for their country shoes with thicker (often commando) soles. Excellent for walking to the pub, dog in tow. Not quite so ideal for office attire.

They also do Town Shoes which are worth a look. I have a pair and would rate their quality comparable to Joseph Cheaney. Leather takes a bit longer to break in.

View attachment 29033
View attachment 29034

I'm not a fan of the models linked in the OP tbh. The double monks in particular just don't work for me.
That's a very handsome shoe! Adelaide's are a favorite of mine.

Looks to be very well made and finished. The last is traditional, and appears rather roomy.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts