Trouble pairing tan linen sports jacket

Discussion in 'Andy's Trad Forum' started by ymc226, Apr 15, 2019 at 4:02 PM.

1. ymc226

ymc226 New Member

United States
    NJ
    Princeton
    I’m having trouble deciding if a medium gray tropical wool pant goes with this lighter tan jacket. If not, what other color pants would work better?

Attached Files:

2. TDWat

TDWat Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Virginia
    Central
  3. London380sl

London380sl Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    The grey is iffy to me also but there are better combinations.
    Black slacks would work ( the famous black and tan)
    Chocolate brown is another good choice
    In the summer I would go with an off white -some call it sand -colour.

If you really want to get some colour ideas go to Google Images and type in "Tan sports coat" . You will get hundreds off pictures to look at and decide what combinations work for your own personal tastes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:11 PM
  4. TKI67

TKI67 Senior Member

United States
    Texas
    Austin
    I share in others’ difficulty with tan sport coats, but when they are mentioned I immediately think how great they looked in A Room With A View. Of course they were of a lighter material, probably linen, but they sure look sharp with black trousers, shoes, and ties, white shirts, and matching tan vests.

5. Semper Jeep

Semper Jeep Senior Member

United States
    Michigan
    Bloomfield Hills
    I'll give another vote for olive trousers. Olive works surprisingly well with so many colors, especially tans and beiges that you might have trouble finding other things to pair with.

Chocolate or tobacco brown could be pretty sharp as well.

fishertw likes this.
  6. August West

August West Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    NJ
    Northern
    Fading Fast likes this.
  7. New Old Stock

New Old Stock Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    New York
    Lighter shade of chinos/linen trousers or Nantucket reds would be my first choices. If I'm wearing a tan SC it's summer, probably a casual setting, & it definitely isn't at night. That being said, the OPs combo with mid-grey trousers works just fine. So does olive, as others have said, & even navy chinos & denim. I personally prefer all those over black or brown, for sure.

8. London380sl

London380sl Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Canada
    Ontario
    Toronto
    Found a link that shows what pants to wear with a tan sports coat. My fav is the guy wearing the light blue pants and the pink sweater with a tan sports coat.

Put your mouse pointer on the pic and it breaks down the different components of the outfit (ie) tan sports coat light blue shirt, pink crewneck sweater, light blue pants.

https://lookastic.com/men/tan-blazer/how-to-wear-with/dress-pants

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    ran23 likes this.
  9. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Agree with many others; most shades of grey, olive and other soft greens, cream/stone and also cocoa brown. Maybe also darker golden tan, and some steel blues.

10. TimF

TimF Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    New York
    New York City
    If you aggregate everyone's suggestions, basically every color slacks come in except for shades of tan that too closely match the coat.

TKI67 likes this.