rhz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
California
Oakland
Hi,

With the help of those on this forum I "converted" a navy suit jacket into a blazer by changing the buttons for a set of brown horn buttons:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/another-can-i-wear-this-suit-jacket-as-a-blazer-question-with-photos.238903/

I'd like to find a pair of trousers to use with the jacket. I tried using a grey pair of Brooks Brothers Advantage Milano Chinos, but didn't think that it worked well. The jacket is made of (worsted?) wool and has a slight sheen to it. The chinos just seemed too casual for the jacket. A pair of slim, grey dress pants would probably be a better choice. Is there anything special I need to keep in mind about an appropriate pair of dress pants for my use scenario? Should I look for pants with a slight sheen as well?

It would be great if these pants could pair well with another textured wool & cotton charcoal sportcoat I have. Would this desire change what I should be looking for?

Thanks!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I regularly worn khaki, red and British Khaki hued chinos with my navy blazers and I've also worn khaki and charcoal hued wool gaberdine(s) with them. As for the shiny finish that interests you, I am not a fan of sheen! ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
As Eagle said, you can try khaki colored khaki! ;)

But I suspect you may have more success with wool than cotton pants. What you're probably seeing is an aesthetic disconnect between the levels of refinement of the two cloths.

If you're going to shop in a real life store, rather than on-line, you'll be able to get a much better idea of potential pairings. For example, if I went shopping for shirts or ties, I'd wear a suit or jacket with which I planned to wear them. If just a tie, I'd wear the shirt. It becomes much easier when you can just hold the two items beside each other.

paxonus

United States
California
Los Angeles
If you go with red, which I also happen to like along with eagle2250, try getting them in poplin. They look a bit more formal than a chino. Another option I have tried is Orvis Ultimate Khaki in the color Stone. They have a nice finish and are creased. The color is actually more of a cream than stone--halfway between white and khaki color. A third option is white canvas or what used to be called duck.

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
One of the reasons most navy blazers are made of hopsack is that the texture makes it less formal than worsted. I have a navy worsted from BB that IMO can only be worn with nice wool dress pants and a hopsack one that looks just fine with chinos.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
One of the reasons most navy blazers are made of hopsack is that the texture makes it less formal than worsted. I have a navy worsted from BB that IMO can only be worn with nice wool dress pants and a hopsack one that looks just fine with chinos.
Makes sense.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
At the risk of being seen as too Gatsby-esque, in warmer months you could consider ivory or cream wool.

I agree with Winghus though. Hopsack is more causal and would work better with a variety of fabrics There’s something about the smooth texture of a suit jacket that would clash with either linen or cotton.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
FWIW, hopsack is worsted. Worsted is a type of wool yarn and a general type of wool that contrasts with woolen (like flannel and tweed). All hopsack is worsted, but not all worsted is hopsack. Hopsack is less formal than smoother worsteds, like plain-weave and worsted serge, which are common for both suits and blue blazers.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
I have a variety of such blazers and find they all go pretty well with just about any kinds of pants you can come up with.

One way to look at clothes is that the “roughness” of materials should match; another is that contrast is a valuable aesthetic tool; another is that with a standardized ubiquitous item like a blue blazer, it is pointless to care.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
another is that with a standardized ubiquitous item like a blue blazer, it is pointless to care.
I agree that one is so used to seeing a blue blazer (with virtually any trousers) that coordination becomes somewhat moot. However, that doesn't mean that some colors don't look better with a dark blue jacket. Accordingly, I still manage to care!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts