TimF

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
New York City
I admit I haven't read every post in this thread, but isn't that a bit of a straw man? Or has anyone suggested that a properly tailored suit could make his paunch magically disappear and transform him into the very image of slender elegance? If that proposition has been advanced, then I join you in disputing it.

If not, then I return to my main point that Trump's physical stature has nothing at all to do with his slovenly manner of dress.

And yes, a well tailored suit could minimize the visual impact of his corpulence, though well short of making it disappear entirely.
The straw man only exists in the mock trial of your imagination, counselor. It seems you agree a well-fitting suit can ameliorate, but not conceal, corpulence. Trump (I posit) wants the latter not the former.

I believe I originally answered a post not by you questioning why a man of Trump's (supposed) means would buy such baggy suits. And for the record I agree with you he has generally vulgar tastes.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
The straw man only exists in the mock trial of your imagination, counselor. It seems you agree a well-fitting suit can ameliorate, but not conceal, corpulence. Trump (I posit) wants the latter not the former.

I believe I originally answered a post not by you questioning why a man of Trump's (supposed) means would buy such baggy suits. And for the record I agree with you he has generally vulgar tastes.
Ancient Teutonic Tribes - Goths, Visigoths, Burgundians, and the Vulgarians! :icon_scratch:

Dr. P

Starting Member
United States
GA
Grantville
He reportedly eschews alterations, tailoring. He is tall enough to buy off the rack without having his clothes drag to floor so he gets away with it, sort of. I am a 5'1" woman so I must get my clothes tailored but I certainly don't enjoy the process or the expense. Also when men start to sport a paunch and their legs lose muscle mass, the fit of pants is never going to bear scrutiny. Time to dress in robes like classic Romans!

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
He reportedly eschews alterations, tailoring.
And boy, doesn't he look it! :D But he must have some things done, so he might as well have them done well.

He is tall enough to buy off the rack without having his clothes drag to floor so he gets away with it, sort of.
He's 6'3" for heavens sake! Makes it even more inexcusable for him to dress so poorly. If anyone is familiar with the typically overstuffed Victorian rich, you've seen photos of very out of shape men looking marvelous in white tie. It might even be argued that such physiques contributed to the evolution of the mode.

I am a 5'1" woman so I must get my clothes tailored but I certainly don't enjoy the process or the expense. Also when men start to sport a paunch and their legs lose muscle mass, the fit of pants is never going to bear scrutiny. Time to dress in robes like classic Romans!
As non-svelte septuagenarian I can attest to the validity of your observation. :oops: But no need to dress like a Roman; properly cut trousers with a high enough rise and suspenders/braces to hold them were they should be, along with the trouser legs gracefully tapered all the way down deals with this issue perfectly. All that's required is a decent tailor and the advice of someone with taste.

Audi S5 TC

Advanced Member
The Lofts Apartments
United States
New York
Farmingdale
And boy, doesn't he look it! :D But he must have some things done, so he might as well have them done well.

He's 6'3" for heavens sake! Makes it even more inexcusable for him to dress so poorly. If anyone is familiar with the typically overstuffed Victorian rich, you've seen photos of very out of shape men looking marvelous in white tie. It might even be argued that such physiques contributed to the evolution of the mode.

As non-svelte septuagenarian I can attest to the validity of your observation. :oops: But no need to dress like a Roman; properly cut trousers with a high enough rise and suspenders/braces to hold them were they should be, along with the trouser legs gracefully tapered all the way down deals with this issue perfectly. All that's required is a decent tailor and the advice of someone with taste.
Actually, Donald Trump is 6’ 2” per Google and the Internet Movie Database.

Last edited:

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Here's an idea of his actual physique:
But he looks better here than in his white tie for sure. And the trousers are high rise enough that they bisect the gut and he doesn't have the dreaded belly drooping over the belt (the belt actually looks good). But of course he cares about golf.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
But he looks better here than in his white tie for sure. And the trousers are high rise enough that they bisect the gut and he doesn't have the dreaded belly drooping over the belt (the belt actually looks good). But of course he cares about golf.
How odd as I didn’t post that pic.

WA

Honors Member
United States
WA
Bellingham
It seems odd that Trump doesn't seem to care about his clothes. Maybe his weight changes quite a bit, which would be kinda hard to keep up with. The "fits" are dreadful. When he was younger and slimmer his clothes fit much better.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts