alkydrinker

United States
Maryland
Baltimore
It's at the very beginning of this interview with Alex Jones (it's a great interview if you can hang with it after the bow tie conversation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPkOUn7mho#t=79

Below is a quick and dirty transcript, I don't have every word exactly correct. I have to give Tucker credit though, he was wearing bow ties when it was completely against the grain. He gave it up now that it has become mildly trendy.

Alex: We are here with Tucker Carlson. He does not have the customary bow tie. Why did you get rid of the bow tie?

Tucker: I joined the mainstream, Alex...I'm just like everyone else[Sarcasm]. No, if you wear a bow tie it's like wearing a middle finger around your neck. You're just inviting scorn and ridicule.

Alex: Like Louis Farakan.

Tucker: I don't mind scorn and ridicule but I work in New York during the week so I have to walk through Penn Station and the number of people screaming the F word at me wore me down so I just gave in and became conventional.

Alex: You got told off for wearing a bow tie?

Tucker: Literally everyday. People will scream obscenities at you. Try it for a week.

TradThrifter

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
AL
B'ham
Maybe in the Southern states it is a bit more normal to wear a bow tie? I always saw it as a pretty quirky option for the more eccentric type, but nothing inviting such abuse. lol

Tempest

Honors Member
United States
NJ
Windham Park
This shows an amazing spinelessness, particularly when you think what type of person so easily persuaded him to change his style.
If I need to spell it out, bums and sub-literate derelicts were probably calling him a [email protected] In Carlson's case, I'm not so sure the bow tie was purely to blame.

As a bow tie wearer, I must say that having Carlson leave the ranks is a win.

Reuben

Honors Member
United States
GA
Athens
Maybe in the Southern states it is a bit more normal to wear a bow tie? I always saw it as a pretty quirky option for the more eccentric type, but nothing inviting such abuse. lol
Heck, I don't know that they register as even mildly quirky or eccentric down here in the South.

hardline_42

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Mount Holly
This shows an amazing spinelessness, particularly when you think what type of person so easily persuaded him to change his style.
If I need to spell it out, bums and sub-literate derelicts were probably calling him a [email protected] In Carlson's case, I'm not so sure the bow tie was purely to blame.

As a bow tie wearer, I must say that having Carlson leave the ranks is a win.
I agree. Though I don't share your obvious disdain for Carlson, it's likely that many New Yorkers do, and wearing a bow tie would make him that much more recognizable in a place like Penn station. I'm more inclined to believe that losing the bow tie was more for the purpose of not being recognized than anything else. His invitation to Alex to try wearing a bow tie for a week in a place like New York would probably yield the same effects (or worse) for the same reason. If it was just a random guy in a bow tie, no one would care.

L-feld

Advanced Member
United States
Maryland
Baltimore
I think if Alex Jones walked around wearing a bow tie, or even a tie for that matter, it might actually serve to camouflage him.

On the other hand, think of how many fat circus clowns must get accosted on his behalf.

pt10023

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NY
NY
I have lived in or near New York City for my entire adult life, and I don't believe for a second that people were walking up to Tucker Carlson and screaming the F word at him in Penn Station because he was wearing a bow tie. While I don't wear bow ties regularly, I have worn one a few times while walking through Penn Station. No one cared. Especially during rush hour, New Yorkers are too focused on either getting to work or getting home to notice what other people are wearing. To catch people's attention, you'd have to be wearing something really outlandish, and even then, people may pause for just a second or two before being on their way. A bow tie just wouldn't cut it. It's not unusual enough. And besides, if abuse during his commute was really the reason Carlson stopped wearing a bow tie, wouldn't it have made more sense to put his tie on after getting to work, and take it off again before leaving the office, rather than stop wearing it altogether?

Whatever he may claim, I think the real reason that Tucker Carlson stopped wearing a bowtie is that Jon Stewart made fun of him for wearing one while appearing on Crossfire, and Carlson wasn't quick enough to come up with a witty reply. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE It's pretty weak of him to try and blame his capitulation on the stereotype of New Yorkers being rude.

Tempest

Honors Member
United States
NJ
Windham Park
Bingo. If one drunk a day was muttering or even screaming an obscenity as he passed by, which we've admitted is improbable in a comically diverse area, what sort of child would let this get to him?
"I wanted to wear a long tie because all the other kids were doing it!"
Carlson, you are no George Will!