10E2B3DE-6D2F-4E08-B082-21F37E45C991.jpeg
AA4DFA18-0522-4D6E-9981-E9AFD075E678.jpeg
10981A53-3896-45DA-B311-3F0EFF9AA4BF.jpeg
817B4186-EC1A-498F-86F5-F51BEB8AC408.jpeg
F1A7CDC8-1DCC-4ED3-B5CB-E4EBE43D7D26.jpeg
B6A9F80F-0298-4C47-85B3-C622C0A04F00.jpeg
9DCFCECF-3A79-4C56-ACAC-CA5A2FE2BADB.jpeg
Gents,

Today I had the pleasure of a lengthy layover at JFK on my trip from ATL-JFK-CDG. I must report that my visit to the TWA Hotel just outside Terminal 5 was one of the best airport travel experiences I have ever had.

My last visit to the TWA terminal was in 1993. At that time, the TWA terminal was crowded, dirty, and only a faded shadow of its former glory as a cutting edge and stylish travel hub.

The new restoration and adaptive reuse is astounding. There is not an airline club lounge in the world I have seen that can compare. I would gladly connect via JFK just to return to visit again! I will let the photos tell the story.

Cheers,

BSR

Attachments

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
Unfortunately, the hotel part of the project isn’t as successful, as noted in several reviews.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
All new facility with all new staff....even the navy has shakedown cruises to get the bugs out. Yes, give them a few weeks for certain.

As a frequent global traveler, I ditched trip advisor years ago. IMO it has devolved to a whinge fest of almost no value to those who frequent establishments beyond the generic chain hotels.

The St. James Hotel and Club in Paris, where I stayed last Friday, was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had, but at >$1000 per night including dinner and drinks, they have to bring the goods to every guest!

Cheers,

BSR

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
That is quite the sartorial timeline, displaying the evolution of the TWA staff uniforms...over what period of time? :icon_scratch:

Last edited by a moderator:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Well, depending on who we reference,TWA went into bankruptcy for the second or third time back in 1995. I guess that constitutes going under. Thanks for the feedback! ;)

Retired EE

Starting Member
United States
Virginia
Arlington
View attachment 31913 View attachment 31914 View attachment 31915 Back through JFK today. Here is a shot of the TWA historical staff uniform display.

Cheers,

BSR

A memento of our departure from JFK airport's TWA terminal in February 1965. Mom recorded the experience on the postcard shown below. She traveled, on her own, with a 7 year old (me), a 4 year old, and a 1 year old baby to Paris, France as part of our family's move overseas to be with my father, who was a captain in the US Army. We had a very long wait at the terminal (I think it was 9 hours) due to a mechanical issue with the aircraft. The "seasoned traveler" mentioned on the back of the postcard was a gentleman who saw my mother's predicament with 3 very young children and helped her thru the challenges of the long wait time. Notwithstanding the tedium of the wait (which I remember), the overall travel experience was exciting to me and the on-board experience was excellent. Also, I recall that we dressed-up for the overseas flight.

IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
A memento of our departure from JFK airport's TWA terminal in February 1965. Mom recorded the experience on the postcard shown below. She traveled, on her own, with a 7 year old (me), a 4 year old, and a 1 year old baby to Paris, France as part of our family's move overseas to be with my father, who was a captain in the US Army. We had a very long wait at the terminal (I think it was 9 hours) due to a mechanical issue with the aircraft. The "seasoned traveler" mentioned on the back of the postcard was a gentleman who saw my mother's predicament with 3 very young children and helped her thru the challenges of the long wait time. Notwithstanding the tedium of the wait (which I remember), the overall travel experience was exciting to me and the on-board experience was excellent. Also, I recall that we dressed-up for the overseas flight.

View attachment 31935 View attachment 31936
Love the story and really envy the menu you had! My Air France meal on Friday was inedible. :)

Cheers,

BSR

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts