Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
I bought two corduroy sports jackets recently....one in a dark brown (tobacco?) and another in a much lighter brown...both have patch pockets, two buttons, notch lapels, but I've hardly ever worn them, as much as I like them, as I am at a loss as to what to wear with them...any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Corduroy is my favorite jacket to go over denim, sort of the archetypal 'jeans jacket'. Corduroy jacket, Wrangler or Levi jeans (never 'designer' fergawdsake!) suede cap and chukkas and sport shirt of your choice? Next stop, a friendly watering hole!

Skipperino

Great Britain
Lincolnshire
Lincoln
I have a huge collection of knitted ties (don't ask)...both long and bow...as well as quite a few wool ones...I guess none would be suitable?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Almost everything that isn't also corduroy, or too refined/dressy/formal in appearance.

It's cool/cold weather clothing of course.

A natural affinity for tweed, flannel/Saxony and moleskin. Beefy shirting and sweaters. Great with turtlenecks. With a tie, with sport shirts, with ties with sportshirts.

Beefy shoes, boots, or penny loafers. Knit and wool ties are great.

Wear boxcloth, wool or leather braces/suspenders with it.

And just about everything these folks sell (Except that ugly tie below! :eek:) that isn't also made from corduroy -

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear

upload_2019-5-25_16-25-10.png

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Almost everything that isn't also corduroy, or too refined/dressy/formal in appearance.

It's cool/cold weather clothing of course.

A natural affinity for tweed, flannel/Saxony and moleskin. Beefy shirting and sweaters. Great with turtlenecks. With a tie, with sport shirts, with ties with sportshirts.

Beefy shoes, boots, or penny loafers. Knit and wool ties are great.

Wear boxcloth, wool or leather braces/suspenders with it.

And just about everything these folks sell (Except that ugly tie below! :eek:) that isn't also made from corduroy -

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear

View attachment 31322
Excellent advice. The only drawback to purchases from Cordings is that if you're going to spend money there, spend big. The costs of shipping of small quantities is uneconomical so you may as well get a lot in your parcel as the cost won't be that much greater.

And, yes, that tie is positively hideous!

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Excellent advice. The only drawback to purchases from Cordings is that if you're going to spend money there, spend big. The costs of shipping of small quantities is uneconomical so you may as well get a lot in your parcel as the cost won't be that much greater.

And, yes, that tie is positively hideous!
Yes, their shipping cost is what has deterred me, as I shall not be making any mega purchases to make it worthwhile.

However, as the OP is in the UK . . . .

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I presently have two corduroy jackets in the closet; one British Khaki hued and one a deep green hue. That seems all the corduroy jacket options that I shall have a need for in my remaining future. Anything more would be overkill. :crazy:

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Why not cord pants with a cord odd coat if clearly not a suit?

I also wear navy flannel with my dark rust cord sport coat.

Being yet unable to find used knit ties and broke, have none, so wear none with it. I wear what feels comfortable and have, no one around here be privy of the fault(s).:p