Two cord sports jackets...what to wear with?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Why not cord pants with a cord odd coat if clearly not a suit?
Because it doesn't look good. Whereas corduroy suits are great.

When pairing items, an harmonious contrast typically produces the best effect, if the items do not match. Pairing two corduroys more commonly results in insufficient contrast, and rather than being harmonious, it looks like an inept attempt at matching, which is dysonant to most eyes.

Last edited:

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
Because it doesn't look good. Whereas corduroy suits are great.

When pairing items, an harmonious contrast typically produces the best effect, if the items do not match. Pairing two corduroys more commonly results in insufficient contrast, and rather than being harmonious, it looks like an inept attempt at matching, which is dissonant to most eyes.
Thus why said "if clearly not a suit." ;) I did a search and seems the cords are in deep storage and be quite the work to get out, though will if needed. They are heavy weight fine wale, in a medium butterscotch. The coat is a course wale.

So then you wouldn't wear a chocolate brown sport coat with medium brown pants since the coat and pants must be in different colors according to this rule?

I really need more grey and blue pants... :p

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
So then you wouldn't wear a chocolate brown sport coat with medium brown pants since the coat and pants must be in different colors according to this rule?
I might, though there are certainly easier, and likely better pairings to be found. For example, your color pairing of rust and navy is often nearly ideal. But there are more dimensions to an item than the particular shade of color; these include tone (lighter or darker,) texture, weight and level of formality. Ideally they're all in harmony, or at least enough aspects are in harmony to dominate.

If you get a dark chocolate brown jacket with lighter brown pants, particularly if there are harmonious intermixed shades in each, with enough textural contrast, it can look pretty good.

The problem in pairing corduroys is typically one of too similar textures. Corduroy is glorious for its commonly strong textures, and two together that are nearly the same texture really don't look good to my eye, irrespective of color and other aspects.

None of these are rules. They are principles with complexities, nuance and exceptions.

Last edited:

fishertw

United States
North Carolina
Boone
I usually wear Bills heavy khaki, tweed or denim. It's great for fall and winter.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
(offered in response to post #10)
I am not one inclined to wear corduroy over corduroy...it just seems too much of a good thing! Others may try, but to my eye, it always looks odd, and not in a good way. :icon_scratch:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I am not one inclined to wear corduroy over corduroy...it just seems too much of a good thing! Others may try, but to my eye, it always looks odd, and not in a good way. :icon_scratch:
:beer:

Adriel Rowley

United States
AZ
Mesa
I might, though there are certainly easier, and likely better, pairings to be found. For example, your color pairing of rust and navy is often nearly ideal. But there are more dimensions to an item than the particular shade of color; these include tone (lighter or darker,) texture, weight and level of formality. Ideally they're all in harmony, or at least enough aspects are in harmony to dominate.

The problem in pairing corduroys is typically one of too similar textures. Corduroy is glorious for its commonly strong textures, and two together that are nearly the same texture really don't look good to my eye, irrespective of color and other aspects.

None of these are rules. They are principles with complexities, nuance and exceptions.
Correct, that is what I am working on now: texture, weight, and some degree, formality.

So went through great feats of balance, dexterity, and strength to get to the bins, only to find not there; turns out in the den closet (my clothes take up five closets). :laughing:

Here it is:

The other day was browsing eBay and happened upon a pair of tweed for an amazing deal and couldn't resist. Though once received was then kind of at a loss how to pair. Love this, appreciated!

And here is my contributions to paring, the first a blue grey (not sure why the color balance is so off in all these pictures) and the second a rich chocolate brown.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Correct, that is what I am working on now: texture, weight, and some degree, formality.

So went through great feats of balance, dexterity, and strength to get to the bins, only to find not there; turns out in the den closet (my clothes take up five closets). :laughing:

Here it is:

The other day was browsing eBay and happened upon a pair of tweed for an amazing deal and couldn't resist. Though once received was then kind of at a loss how to pair. Love this, appreciated!

And here is my contributions to paring, the first a blue grey (not sure why the color balance is so off in all these pictures) and the second a rich chocolate brown.

I didn't realize the two browns you had referred to were both corduroy. Sorry, but I don't care for those paired.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Corduroy is my favorite jacket to go over denim, sort of the archetypal 'jeans jacket'. Corduroy jacket, Wrangler or Levi jeans (never 'designer' fergawdsake!) suede cap and chukkas and sport shirt of your choice? Next stop, a friendly watering hole!
"Designer" jeans aren't worth it, but there's a world of jeans between Levi's and designer. Japanese selvedge, for example, is something I would think folk on here can appreciate for it's high quality and craftsmanship, as well as for not being made by low wage or child labor. Or, perhaps some made in america jeans, and there are actually many smaller brands which do this?