huhjunn

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
I will be taking my dark brown Meermin Mallorca oxfords to a cobbler tomorrow (hence the urgency) as the heels and toe area have worn down a fair bit.

Will black topy soles significantly contrast the dark brown edge of my sole, so much so that it looks unfashionable? I can opt to have the topy done in a similar dark brown. However, the brown topy is thinner than the black, which makes me fear that they will wear out faster.

With all that in mind: Black or Brown Topy?

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
I have every color variation of the "Topy" brand on different shoes and boots.

There is no tangible difference in thickness IME.

You should be totally cool with the dark brown, or black for that matter, but if brown is available then go that route.

Thanks.

Watchman

Advanced Member
United States
IL
ChicagoLand
Here is a shot of an "Antique Edge" Carmina with black sole guard:

Tiger

United States
New York
New York City
Agree completely with Watchman, although my cobbler uses Vibram soles instead of Topy. Have no idea if there's a qualitative difference...

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Massachusetts
Newton
I have Topy's on all my dress shoes (black and brown) and there is no discernible difference in the thickness of the sole nor the color along the side of the sole. Black or brown Topy's will be fine.

huhjunn

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
I have Topy's on all my dress shoes (black and brown) and there is no discernible difference in the thickness of the sole nor the color along the side of the sole. Black or brown Topy's will be fine.
The black topy that the cobbler showed me was maybe double the thickness of the brown one for the sole area. For the heel area both black and brown were the same thickness. :s

wmm2

United States
ohio
dayton
... However, the brown topy is thinner than the black, which makes me fear that they will wear out faster...
Based on my experience, I would opt for the thinner of the two options. I had a thin SoleTech cover (about 2mm) added when I had my shoes resoled. I didn't think to have the cobbler compensate for added thickness of the cover. The extra thickness changed the way the shoe flexed and it was less comfortable than it had been.

huhjunn

Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Based on my experience, I would opt for the thinner of the two options. I had a thin SoleTech cover (about 2mm) added when I had my shoes resoled. I didn't think to have the cobbler compensate for added thickness of the cover. The extra thickness changed the way the shoe flexed and it was less comfortable than it had been.
Thank you for the explanation and reasoning. Based on Watchman's previous comment regarding matching colour in addition to your comment, I have decided to opt for the thinner brown topy. Many thanks to you both.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts