Fading Fast

Connoisseur
These illustrations are from Esquire, February 1943
upload_2019-5-13_11-50-42.png
That is one great outfit and illustration. The "flash" of plaid from the coat is perfect.

Love the bold herringbone suit and I want the briefcase with the travel stickers (there's a better / more accurate name for them, but can't think of it now - anyone?).

However, I suggest he change his travel plans from flying to taking the train as he had two non-stop luxury train options to Chicago then: The 20th Century Limited or The Broadway Limited.
20thCenturyLimited-2.jpg
Broadwayad.jpg

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
That is one great outfit and illustration. The "flash" of plaid from the coat is perfect.

Love the bold herringbone suit and I want the briefcase with the travel stickers (there's a better / more accurate name for them, but can't think of it now - anyone?).

However, I suggest he change his travel planes from flying to taking the train as he had two non-stop luxury options to Chicago then: The 20th Century Limited or The Broadway Limited.
View attachment 31015 View attachment 31016
Perfect, thank you!

You're enticing me to add railway travel to my agenda by reminding me how pleasant and enriching it can be. Entirely unlike NJT, which is closer akin to a holding cell at Rikers, except that it's usually broken and late

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Perfect, thank you!

You're enticing me to add railway travel to my agenda by reminding me how pleasant and enriching it can be. Entirely unlike NJT, which is closer akin to a holding cell at Rikers, except that it's usually broken and late
The only civilized travel and the only travel I've truly enjoyed is train travel. With a little luck - Amtrak can be a decent experience especially in the Northeast where it has its "high-speed" (not really, but pretty fast) Acela service that covers all the major cities and many others.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Perfect, thank you!

I haven't done such since 1976 or perhaps it was 1977, but a cross country jaunt by rail is an incredible way to travel. We should all have a chance to experience a sleeper car and dining on a train at least once in our lives! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ I know Hitchcock was making films since the '20s and was successful from the '30s on, but I didn't think he became a household name until the '50s, but clearly from the top pic's text, he was a household name by '43.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
⇧ I know Hitchcock was making films since the '20s and was successful from the '30s on, but I didn't think he became a household name until the '50s, but clearly from the top pic's text, he was a household name by '43.
I think it was his TV show that made him known by my generation, but before TV, there was only movies and radio. Looking through his filmograhpy, I see titles of films from the '30's & '40's I've heard discussed, suggesting that they had brought him renown by that period. Among them -

The Man Who Knew Too Much - '34
39 Steps - '35
The Lady Vanishes - '38
Rebecca - '40
Suspicion - '41

And on it goes!

These apparently were milestones among popular entertainment which also garnered much critical praise.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I think it was his TV show that made him known by my generation, but before TV, there was only movies and radio. Looking through his filmograhpy, I see titles of films from the '30's & '40's I've heard discussed, suggesting that they had brought him renown by that period. Among them -

The Man Who Knew Too Much - '34
39 Steps - '35
The Lady Vanishes - '38
Rebecca - '40
Suspicion - '41

And on it goes!

These apparently were milestones among popular entertainment which also garnered much critical praise.
Clearly he was and for the movies you note.

I'd add to the list another one of his I like from that era "Foreign Correspondent" from 1940.

The clothes in it are incredible too:
screen-shot-2013-09-19-at-9-53-20-am.png
Foreign Correspondent 3.jpg
0655.jpg
4929.jpg
MV5BMzNiYjA3ZjUtNDk1Yy00MDllLTliY2YtYjM2NWM2NDM0MTA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgwNTk5MDI@._V1_.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Two things from the above pics - one, it's really clear how much more popular bold herringbone was as a pattern in the '30s and '40s (and really '50s, but Flanderian hasn't taken us there yet) than it is today. That's a shame.

And, two, based on the top pic, it's clear that the dining car is where the pretty women hang out. Other than that she looks like she has a small pillow on her head, I'm leaning toward the one sitting, but there's nothing wrong with the one standing either.

Oh, and about the guy hitting on the standing one - that's a heck of an outfit he has on.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
.....and perhaps he is the object of the illustration's caption, "Tall, Dark and Drafted," enjoying one last breath of freedom, before going off to defend it! ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
⇧ Two things from the above pics - one, it's really clear how much more popular bold herringbone was as a pattern in the '30s and '40s (and really '50s, but Flanderian hasn't taken us there yet) than it is today. That's a shame.

And, two, based on the top pic, it's clear that the dining car is where the pretty women hang out. Other than that she looks like she has a small pillow on her head, I'm leaning toward the one sitting, but there's nothing wrong with the one standing either.

Oh, and about the guy hitting on the standing one - that's a heck of an outfit he has on.
I think I only have a year or two left in my archive as fashions progressed further from my sweet spot as time marched on. And it's not simply a matter of preference, but the illustrations themselves declined markedly as the publication entered the '50's. A lot more photo layouts, which I think you may have correctly observed just aren't quite as inspiring.

But for a couple pair of Vass . . . ? :rolleyes:

^^
.....and perhaps he is the object of the illustration's caption, "Tall, Dark and Drafted," enjoying one last breath of freedom, before going off to defend it! ;)
Betcha he looks a lot different once his DI's are finished with him! :devil:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.